Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 08:12 PM

Default 25NL too cautious with overpair?

I've been on the table for 20 hands, this is the first time villain raises.

Am I too cautious here?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.10/$0.25 Blinds
5 Players
Lego Poker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
<font color="green">SB: $29.40</font>
<font color="green">Hero (BB): $25.45</font>
UTG: $13.90
CO: $24.35
BTN: $45.55

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($0.35, 5 Players)
2 folds, BTN calls $0.25, <font color="red">SB raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $0.75, BTN folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($2.25, 2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($6.25, 2 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">River:</font> 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($6.25, 2 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Pot Size: $6.25 ($0.30 Rake)

My reasoning:

preflop: ok this is the first time he raises, he must like his hand, I'm just gonna call

flop: I have an overpair, but he might have one too, let's just call and see what happens

turn: he checks, he must be afraid of the flush, but that doesnt mean he lays down a better hand than me if I bet, let's control the pot

river: well, there arent too many hands I beat that would call me (TT maybe), so I check behind
Old 03-31-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: 25NL too cautious with overpair?

I would play the hand more aggressively. On the flop I would reraise to $4. If he folds good, if he raises than im out, if he calls than id fold to any more aggression afterwords.

you called, its an okay move but you are playing against a player who raised 1 in 20 and you are out of position.

The flop were low cards and the opponent bet out. without any reads Id reraise to 6$ if he raises ill slow down, if he calls id shutdown and if he folds I win.

you called turn is a 9. Opponent checks. Im thinking the opponent made a continuation bet with AK AQ. Id bet the turn 2/3.

you check River is 6 of clubs. opponent checks i think the opponent shut down after your call with AK or AQ. again try a bet of 2/3.

you checked im guessing you won?
Old 03-31-2007, 10:27 PM

I raise or bet every single street. I reraise to 3.75 or 4 pf, as played I raise the flop, and I bet turn. Missing too much value not too I believe.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:12 AM

move up levels.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:59 AM

I think this line is ok, but not optimal. I like it more than a pot sized raise on the flop though. The problem with that line is if a diamond drops, you have almost exactly a PSB left, and if he ends up all in with you it's because you're smoked.

So I either like to overbet or keep the pot very small. IMO you throw out a 1/2 pot value bet on the river, and expect to get called by a small PP very often. If he CR's you have an easy fold. His line does not look strong to me though.