Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 03-05-2007, 05:22 PM

Default How do you adjust to this type of limit player?

Here is a profile:

PREFLOP
- limps in early to middle position with aces, kings, small pairs, suited aces and suited connectors
- he also overcalls raises with these hands
- he raises with AK, AQ, queens, jacks, tens and stuff like J8s
- on the button he tries to isolate pre-flop raisers
- he also tries to buy the button
- he defends the BB with about 90% of his hands
- he likes to call raises from late position in the SB with the same speculative NL hands
- his own blindsteal frequency is very low (~25%)
- blind vs. blind he will raise in the BB if the SB limps and usually raise first-in from the SB himself. Sometimes he limps from the SB and always pulls the limp-raise

POSTFLOP
- if he has the initiative he bets until he gets raised
- if he doesn't have the initiative he calls all the way if he has a pair, even with overpairs
- in position he calls every continuation bet
- if he can beat one pair he will go for the checkraise on the turn or even the river
- sometimes he will donk if an ace hits
- basically he will bet his draws and slowplay made hands
- in multiway pots he usually tries to force a HU situation so he has position
- if you give up the initative and check to him, he will bet in almost every case
- if you take a free card he will always bet the next street

Basically he plays 100% backwards. I think it is pretty obvious that he eats aggressive players alive. So how do you play this guy?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: How do you adjust to this type of limit player?

Play aggressively with your big hands. Call with your medium hands, and your hands that hold up against his range. Fold your worst hands. Based on your description, he will beat himself.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:09 PM

that guy sounds like an awesome player pretty much
Old 03-05-2007, 09:24 PM

do the same as him and u will beet him
Old 03-06-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do the same as him and u will beet him

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be clear that I can't beat him by copying his play, all I can do is to break even this way, but maybe that's not too bad.

Anyways, his play is all about position and his basic philosophy seems to be tied to the Theory of Restricted Choice. This means continuation bets on the flop have a 2:1 chance to be meaningless and checking the turn has a 2:1 chance to be true weakness.

Looks to me that it should be possible to beat him by checking the flop, checkraising the turn with 2nd pair or better. Note: This is the street where his bets are meaningless.

It is important to keep the pots small in order to cut down his implied odds and not to reward him for his loose pre-flop play.* This means just calling his checkraises and never going to war with him. Don't fight for the initiative against him.

Also one should play hands with showdown value ace or king high against him, because he will bet every river if he smells weakness. So raising with JTo or 98s in the CO with him on the button is more or less out of question.

Last but not least, seat selection is of utmost importancy. The difference between sitting one to his left or one to his right is huge and that's not only because position on him is important, it is also about stealing the blinds. With this guy to your immediate right, you will never win the blinds without a fight and he usually triggers a chain reaction of callers which also cuts down the chances for your top pair hands.

That's my analysis so far...

* that's debatable, the alternative being to pop him pre-flop to punish his loose play
Old 03-06-2007, 04:52 AM

Correction: With this guy to your immediate left you will never win the blinds without a fight.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:06 AM

Kinda funny, but the guy I described plays limit just like Bob Bright plays NL in Cash Poker. One would assume that this is wrong because in limit you never get the implied odds for it, but as far as I can tell, the guy I described is always the biggest winner on the table.