Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 02-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Don\'t tap the f-ing fish tank!

So I'm usually a $9-18 up to $20-40 LHE player. But a few weeks ago I watched a $6-12 Omaha 8 table with full kill. The players were beyond attrocious. I'm no expert Omaha player, but I am skilled in hi/lo games(they were the first poker I learned), and I know full well that bad Omaha players are just about the easiest money there is in poker. So I passed on my holdem game and sat down at Omaha. And killed it bad. And for each subsequent session as well.

So I finally get called for my seat last night and am seated to the right of a guy with a huge stack of chips...maybe 4-5 racks worth. I watch him play. He is ok. Not nearly as bad as everyone else, and probably the third best player at the table. The dropoff from him and one other guy to the five worst players is beyond astonishing. Three of those guys are regular donators to the game. One has dropped at least $600 every time I have played there and clearly has more money than sense. I am pretty quiet in this game and have made nice with most of the fish, and definitely with the 3 or so other good players. After a while the gf/wife of the guy to my left comes up to the table. He is happy due to his win. Most everyone else is miserable. Not uncommon at Omaha. But to me its bad when the fish aren't happy.

So she starts loudly carrying on about some horrible beat she took in a $40 buy in NL game. Seriousy. She expected people to respect her raises. WTF? You would think her husband/bf MIGHT take control of things, but no. He lets her continue on. And she goes on about "donkey" this and "donkey" that. And all I see as I look around the table are five donkeys that don't know they are donkeys, but are about to find out. Sure enough the biggest fish at the table...the guy who loses $600 a session...pipes up with "What's a donkey?".

Nice.

Please STFU next time and please make your dummy gf/wife/male pleasure palace STFU as well.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Don\'t tap the f-ing fish tank!

What's the problem?
Unless the gf called one of your fish a donkey, ie:

"What's a donkey?"
"An idiot like you who throws away his money chasing two outers and non-nut draws. Mike here told me about you idiots."

And if he loses $600 a session, calling him a "donkey", even by inference, isn't going to change much.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the problem?
Unless the gf called one of your fish a donkey, ie:

[/ QUOTE ]

Angus, I often agree with you, but not here.

Sounds like the table where sternroolz was playing had a fine vibe going. People were having a good time and feel content to pull open their wallet and buy in again and again.

Now it may be that in other games, a rebuy represents a wish to get even, and a competitive air does not discourage that. But if they are rebuying because they are having a good time, the last thing you want is someone making them feel stupid for doing so.

Someone using the word "donkey" to describe players, even someone outside the table referring to other players outside of the table, can introduce a competitive spirit that was not already there, and ruin the mood.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:31 PM

Honestly this is a pretty ridiculous post, no offense. The woman, who is discussing an experience in an entirely different game altogether, has a right to speak her mind. Unfortunately, life is not 100% perfect and a stranger isn't going to stay quiet just so that game conditions are ideal for the perceived shark at the table.

Also, your commentary is severely overexaggerated. They're about to find out they are donkeys? Cmon buddy, this is pretty absurd. No one dropping $600 nightly at $6-$12 Omaha 8b live is going to suddenly have an epiphany and become a better player because some guy's wife spoke up. Be realistic. Most players who are terrible got that way because of a poor method of learning the game, and 95% of THAT sample of people will never correct themselves regardless of what was said to them.

This is going out on a limb here, but did you begin losing to all the "donkeys" around the time this happened?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:42 PM

Reminds me of this scene

Babyheads
Old 02-11-2007, 11:44 PM

I think that he didn't want the flow of the juicy game interrupted & I can't blame him. Sucks if it effected the game but hopefully it didn't too much.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:49 PM

Well, my view falls somewhere between the extremes of the OP and Angus or FireStorm. It's axiomatic that getting bad players to think about the fact that there are good and bad ways of playing poker is -EV.

OTOH, the gf's comment just sounds like someone pissed off about busting out and need not be a reflection on how anyone, in her game or in the O8 game, actually played. The guy would be wise to diffuse it, e.g., "It just wasn't your day," or some other comment emphasizing the luck of the game rather than the skill level of the players.

Of course away from the table, the girlfriend might chastise him for being unsupportive, he might respond by explaining why this response was +EV, and it would be interesting to see how the relationship would develop from there (if it survived).
Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 PM

meh, she's tilting over some beat at NL40. She's not likely to be the type who would be very rational about any explanation like that.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is going out on a limb here, but did you begin losing to all the "donkeys" around the time this happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was slightly stuck at the time. I finished the session +405
Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please STFU next time and please make your dummy gf/wife/male pleasure palace STFU as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Concur.