Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Cultivating obsession or drive

[ QUOTE ]
Lazy people are really just cowards. Basically you go around never giving your all, b/c not giving your all is your defense mechanism. It's so easy to say to you could've done better if you tried. As opposed to trying & failing, or even worse that you find you can't even put in an honest effort no matter how hard you try.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm rather puzzled how many people seem to think this is the only reason that anybody, anywhere is lazy. Does every negative personality trait have such an easy explanation? I'll certainly grant that it can be the case. Still, what is it exactly I'm supposed to be afraid of finding out? I've always had what I consider a more balanced, realistic view of my own intelligence and abilities (which I feel tends to get overrated by people I know), and so I'm very comfortable with the fact that there are people out there substantially better at what I do. I've met quite a few at this point.

As for failing, my job at this point consists largely of failing repeatedly. We've spent the past two months trying all kinds of stuff to get our experiment up and working again, only succeeding after finding some trivial thing that appeared totally unrelated to anything else we're doing. Maybe this is a different kind of failing than what you're talking about, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm still curious to hear about people who have found themselves in my spot and, in essence, broke the habits of laziness. kidcolin: I agree with your final point there, in some regards, but figuring out how to break the habits without the external pressures is something that interests me. One thing I need to do is post here less; consequently, I won't check back on this thread until sometime tonight. EDIT: Except to comment on this. chezlaw's comment seems in keeping with my ideas about European vs. American attitudes. Do other people agree?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:31 PM

gump, is there nothing you're passionate about doing?

For the most part, I'm a lazy overachieving SOB too. I do no work and do better than everyone around me. I've already accepted the fact that I won't be an amazing academic student, and I likely won't get a job where I have to work my butt off doing grinding work. It's just not me. Many people can do these, for money, for recognition, or what have you. But it's just not me. If I don't like the job, I won't do it. Call that lazy if you like, but I think of it in different terms.

HOWEVER, when I find that special something that I am passionate about, I become determined to succeed and I excel. This has been true in several areas...I used to be overweight but put alot of effort into getting in shape. I found Martial Arts and devoted alot of time into getting better at that. Poker of course is another example.

My point is, I don't think it's really a bad thing to be "lazy", if you don't like the activity. Not in the sense we're talking about anyways. It's common, it's natural, and while many people will says it's a negative trait, or it's cowardly (wtf) or whatever, I believe it's just what it is. You don't like doing task x, therefore you end up not doing it. It might mean that you won't become the top dog in life, but who cares? If you're happy with that, as am I, then it's all gravy.

The trick is to get out there, try new things, find new hobbies, and you might just find something you really enjoy doing. Then, laziness doesn't even come into play, because you'll want to do those activities anyways.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's one of the main things that holds me back.

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly is laziness holding you back from?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:43 PM

LOL at the amateur psychologists and platitudes. There is such thing as laziness and being unmotivated. Yes for some people they have a fear of trying, but some people just don't want the tedious drudgery and annoyance that makes up 90% of any productive activity.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:08 PM

I started writing some amateur crap about defending my position on fear being the root of laziness, which I stand by. But it seems you want examples of lazy people becoming successful at something they love. Maybe this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but ...

I think obsession is a better word than love to describe it. I have a very successful friend, who really had mediocre talent in the fields that he entered (sports & real estate). When he was in his young to mid 20's, everyone from family, friends & advisors told him to do something else. He spent 2+ years in his field & he failed miserably. He lost over $200k (money he didn't have, so he was in debt), had no resume or job prospects and was looking at a life of menial work. He chose this path because he was obsessed with what he was doing. Everyone pretty much considered him a failure at that point in his life.

Nowadays, a decade plus later, he's a multi-millionaire & people in the city respect him. He is one of my very closest friends, and we talk all the time about our views on life.

One day he was telling me about how he was such an idiot when he was in his 20's, and how he's grown to become so much wiser now in his 40's. I told him that he was completely wrong, and that it's everyone else around him that's changed. He is absolutely no different than when he was 20. Sure, now he has nice clothes, cars, knows a lot of important people, but he's exactly the same person.

After going broke & being looked down upon, he never quit doing what he loved. He continued busting ass & working 80 hour weeks, doing whatever he loved doing. Sure a few minor details changed, but he was essentially the same guy everyone called an idiot & a bum back when he was 20. The results from his committment have changed everyone's view of him, but the same formula was originally unsuccessfully applied when he was 20.

He's wasn't born with a silver spoon, he's not well educated, and he's not that smart. His success is due to his obsession. This is something innate.

Some people thought of him as lazy when he was younger, because what he spent time on wasn't what many people envisioned what he should've spent his time on, such as becoming a doctor, lawyer, or engineer.

If you want to give yourself the best chance at success, then find something that you cannot not do. Maybe it's not the field you're in now.

I think discovering the 70hr/wk switch is a lot about discovering who you really are, accepting it, and taking that chance to become who you are best designed to be. Ideally this corresponds to your natural talents and skills or education cultivated in your youth, but often it doesn't, making it very difficult to make that choice.

Ultimately I don't really know you, but I wish good luck.