Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Prominent NJ Net Comes out of the Closet?

[ QUOTE ]
No, it doesn't surprise me at all. Didn't mean to imply that it would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Niss - oh ok, just your phrasing "apparently it remains a difficult thing" made me think you were kind of surprised.

And yeah, what KC said - outside of team chemistry issues, I think it might be a career killer. After all the noise / celebration of the "1st active pro athlete to come out" dies down, what you're left with is a guy who people don't want to play with, GMs wouldn't want, and for the most part, a fan base that would not prefer this athlete to other non-bisexual / gay ones.

-Al
Old 12-11-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Niss - oh ok, just your phrasing "apparently it remains a difficult thing" made me think you were kind of surprised.

And yeah, what KC said - outside of team chemistry issues, I think it might be a career killer. After all the noise / celebration of the "1st active pro athlete to come out" dies down, what you're left with is a guy who people don't want to play with, GMs wouldn't want, and for the most part, a fan base that would not prefer this athlete to other non-bisexual / gay ones.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying if someone comes out, he'll get blackballed out of the league? There's a discrimination lawsuit just waiting to happen.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:26 PM

It is. However, I think a player would rather just play then go through all of that.. thus, it's no surprise that they keep it on the DL.

And it wouldn't even be a pure blackballing.. no team would want to be the bad guy, so someone would sign him. He'd probably get less $$$ and less suitors. So a law suit wouldn't even be a clear cut course of action.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying if someone comes out, he'll get blackballed out of the league? There's a discrimination lawsuit just waiting to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not outright black-balled, just that it would have negative repercussions on his career. Knowing this, I think it would really de-incent a player from coming out as bisexual or gay.

This is especially true of someone on a superstar level, where they would just lose alot of their fan base.

-Al
Old 12-11-2006, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Homosexuals aren't protected by the ERA, so a lawsuit wouldn't succeed.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Homosexuals aren't protected by the ERA, so a lawsuit wouldn't succeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

ERA as in the Equal Rights Amendment that wasn't ratified and isn't relevant to this discussion?

There are no federal laws that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, but there are state laws that do.

I suppose I forget how homophobic certain sectors of society are.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:51 PM

Sorry, I meant Equal Protection Clause, not the ERA.

And I wasn't saying it is right; I was just saying that it wouldn't be successful. I am pro-gay rights and think discrimination based on sexual orientation is very wrong.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:06 PM

This is definitely RJ. LOL at the Mobley pics.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:13 PM

this just made my day. How long til the Franchise and Mobley come out?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:18 PM

Gayshaun Prince FTL.

-Al