Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Does it make sense to work hard and study if you die in the end?

[ QUOTE ]
We will die, but we'll have kids who live on, and they'll (hopefully) have kids and so on. Each generation is potentially an improvement over the last, so you can think of them as a newer and improved you. Only the you in its current form dies. The you in its new and improved form lives on, and the improvements may continue forever. That's a good reason to work hard IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're spoiled brats who don't deserve it. Go inheritance tax!
Old 10-14-2006, 04:51 PM

If you don't work or study hard, you are unlikely to have a very pleasurable life unless you were born rich. What would you do instead, live the extravagant life of the welfare recipient?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We will die, but we'll have kids who live on, and they'll (hopefully) have kids and so on. Each generation is potentially an improvement over the last, so you can think of them as a newer and improved you. Only the you in its current form dies. The you in its new and improved form lives on, and the improvements may continue forever. That's a good reason to work hard IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about people who never marry, or gay couples, or infertile married couples who can't have children? Should they just not bother? I find the idea that your children are a new and improved version of yourself to be strange. I don't think that's why people have children.

I don't know about working hard and studying specifically - but I think, since we only have this one life, we should try to maximize our happiness. If studying and working hard will help you do that, then that's what you should do.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:22 AM

I said it's A reason to work hard, not necessarily the ONLY reason. It happens to be the one that works for me.

[ QUOTE ]
What about people who never marry, or gay couples, or infertile married couples who can't have children? Should they just not bother?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I never married, and never intended to marry, I probably wouldn't have much motivation to work. If I were infertile, I certainly wouldn't get married, and probably likewise if I were gay. That's just me, though. Whatever motivations others may have to work hard, that's beyond the scope of my comments. I'm sure the OP is interested in lots of perspectives, not just mine.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:31 AM

OP: Probably not. Nothing in life comes effortlessly unless you're fortunate enough to be born into a rather wealthy family.

And even then, it takes very little intellectual effort to build the capital to sustain your standards of living. The lower they are, the lower you have to expend on effort.

Assuming you're somewhat intelligent.

It's fascinating to sit on a patio drinking a leisurely mug of coffee and wait for a fruit salad and eggs while watching the traffic flow by in the financial district. Well-trained primates in Brooks Brothers and Vera Wang.

The joke's on them, presumably. <shrugs>
Old 10-15-2006, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
infinite happiness?

do you think that's what heaven is?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, please tell me why I'm wrong..

well I don't actually think that it is, but popular arguments for theism rely heavily on heaven meaning infinite happiness..such as pascal's wager

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know that you're wrong, per se, but I believe there will be work in heaven. I just can't picture work and infinite happiness together. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In case you're wondering why I think there will be work in heaven, God assigned Adam a job in the garden of Eden even before the fall of man, back when the world was perfect. Work, then, is not a result of sin but something God designed.

Of course, if you don't accept Jesus, you won't get to find out. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2006, 04:03 AM

What on top of proximity to a monstruous god, forced labour for erternity. Your heaven gets less and less appealing, txag007, if it ever was.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, if you don't accept Jesus, you won't get to find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

If heaven is populated by you and your ilk, I would rather go to hell.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't picture work and infinite happiness together.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't picture infinite happiness without work. Or at least, without challenges.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't work or study hard, you are unlikely to have a very pleasurable life unless you were born rich. What would you do instead, live the extravagant life of the welfare recipient?

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT