Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-15-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Adults dupe teen into MySpace-assisted suicide

I think there might be a civil suit under intentional infliction of emotional distress. I don't know if they would be able to establish the causal link of her death to the harassment, but it is at least a possibility.

Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress

Also, if the cops wanted to pursue some type of criminal action for harassment, I would be surprised if there was not some statute allowing for that.

The focus seems to be on whether the adults actions caused her death. I think that is the most tenuous part of any case, but I think everyone can acknowledge that their actions caused a certain level of emotional distress and pain for this girl. The family could still recover for the pain caused to their daughter even if a jury does not find that the actions of the adults were the cause in fact or legal cause of her death.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know everyone's gonna reply back to this by saying well as adults you have to know between right and wrong and stupidity and non stupidity, but most adults don't know jack [censored] and are really stupid when it comes to common sense issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can think of at least one good example. Assuming you're an adult, that is. Your whole argument is "adults are dumb, so they aren't responsible for the repercussions of their actions". Does taht really seem right to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gah, I should have put this in the beginning of my post. I don't think that these parents in this specific case shouldn't be held liable because of their stupidity. (I thought I did post this in my original post that is) I'm just saying that everyone is using the argument, well, they're adults, so they should know what they're doing, and thus should be severely punished. Whereas, if a 14 year old alone did this, its just a part of banter that goes on in school and it should be ignored because 14 years olds don't know better."

I'm just saying that there's a fallacy in this argument cause all adults aren't smart and thus if you're using that argument, everyone should be able to use the well I'm as smart as a 14 year old defense and get out of it.

So yeah, I'm not saying they're justified in their actions whatsoever, I'm just re-iterating how it probably went down IRL fwiw.

Edit:

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I can think of at least one good example. Assuming you're an adult, that is. Your whole argument is "adults are dumb, so they aren't responsible for the repercussions of their actions". Does taht really seem right to you?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying that they shouldn't be held responsible for their actions, I'm just saying that most people get so caught up in what they're doing (in this case revenge) that they forget about everything else, including right and wrong and the possible outcomes of their actions. I'm sure this has happened to everyone at one stage of their life or another. Again, I'm not justifying it.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for writing this out. If not, I would have had to be the person pointing out how igorant that statement was.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, how ignorant to assume that people's actions are their own responsibility.

Seriously, wtf is going on in this thread. The stupid myspace parents are responsible for making a stupid choice that was intended to make the girl feel bad. It was retarded and cruel and immature. It led to that girl feeling severely depressed immediately after. But what she chose to do with that depression was completely her own doing and had nothing to do with the myspace family.

[/ QUOTE ]
whats your age cutoff?

say the family had told a 5 year old kid to jump off a bridge because there was candy at the bottom; they arent responsible, right? i mean, the child chose to jump off the bridge

how about retards? would you absolve someone of manipulating a retard into committing a crime or killing himself?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There's been a shitton of threads in OOT where people post their best revenge stories and some of these people are supposedly adults, does it change the fact that they decided to take revenge, no. Thing is, the myspace parents found out that their daughter got befriended from supposedly her best friend and I'm sure it crushed their daughter (who was prolly not a looker to begin with if she was friends with Megan, j/k.)Their daughter prolly started crying and as a parent you feel that you have to stick up for you child and this was their way of going about it. Anyways, so in order to get back at Megan for hurting their daughters' feelings, they played the Myspace scheme. Did they take it a bit far, yes, but at that time they were thought they were justified in doing so in order to get back for the "defriendment," probably.

My point being that you can't really blame the parents that much because they were only thinking of their little daughter and her feelings before the feelings of Megan and her conditions and what it would do to affect her.

[/ QUOTE ]
please please please never have kids
Old 11-15-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

please please please never have kids

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the people that make me believe forced sterilization is worthwhile.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 PM

The family responsible for Megan's death actually pressed charges over $1,000 in property damage?! WTF?! I hope they get what's coming to them just for that alone.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 PM

i know this may sound outrageous, but i'd give serious consideration to killing the other family's daughter...

i would plan, plan, plan, and then hope i get away with it. i realize that the police would be all over me, but with the right amount of planning, maybe i could swing it.

and if i got caught, fair enough. i'll live with that.

this story makes me [censored] sick.

i hope karma [censored] these people beyond belief.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i know this may sound outrageous, but i'd give serious consideration to killing the other family's daughter...

i would plan, plan, plan, and then hope i get away with it. i realize that the police would be all over me, but with the right amount of planning, maybe i could swing it.

and if i got caught, fair enough. i'll live with that.

this story makes me [censored] sick.

i hope karma [censored] these people beyond belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It makes me very happy that the identities of the two idiots has been revealed.

[/ QUOTE ]
? Where/why/when? I'm not interested in having them posted here but the fact that they've been released and the details surrounding that are interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Google says:

There are many links

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome. Im not kidding that if they lived within a 500 mile drive from me, Id be in my car right now on my way to vandalism. I've never read a story thats tilted me or sickened me as much as this one. As it is, Im writting them a letter. I know it will never get read, but if its just one more letter in their mailbox of hopefully many, its at least something

[/ QUOTE ]
[b]
anyone posting addresses, phone numbers, or soliciting violence against these people is getting permabanned. if this is going to be an issue this thread will disappear. -NT
Old 11-16-2007, 02:38 AM

just called, line is busy