Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: The Well: BobboFitos

Saw this got bumped, I don't mind answering stuff if people don't mind it, I guess. Whatever works...
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Bobbo, I'm bumping your well since it was so good and I didnt get to ask anything.

1. Ogre mage or paladin?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't follow the question, on WOW I had a gnome mage and human paladin though.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Rank them. Number 1 being the best game WC2, SC, WC3, AOE.

[/ QUOTE ]
Never played WC3, and only a little bit of AOE. But, SC is simply amazing,

[ QUOTE ]

3. Did you ever play pro, semi pro any game?

[/ QUOTE ]
Video game wise? No, I'm not that much of a nerd :P

[ QUOTE ]

4. Poker now... Rank this skills:
a) Hand reading, b) betting ability, c) extracting value, d) Position e) hand strength f)bluffing g)studying (2+2, books, etc ) h) bankroll management

[/ QUOTE ]
Alot of those things you say are one in the same. I initially always believed it was hand reading, but I see alot of people (clients, actually) who hand read VERY well but continue to play sub optimally IN SPITE of this. What I mean is they are able to formulate "more perfect information" then their opponents, but they don't utilize that information to result in the better action. I'm starting to think understanding how to utilize that information is more important then gathering it.
[ QUOTE ]

5. What board are you most likely to cbet OOP against an unknown holding AJo ( say someone limped from the CO, you raise to 5BB and he calls ) and why
a) K85r b) 5h6h10s c) JcQh10h

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd bet all 3 unless I knew more about my opponent, I might check fold b, but I dont see myself doing that too often.

[ QUOTE ]

did you really have JJ that big pot we played together at turning stone? if you remember action, what do you think of my riv bet with KT on the xTh9hxAh board ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Swear on my life I had JJ. I think your river bet was weird, and to be honest, I made an uncharacteristic move on the river. My thoughts at the time were "this is a good flop rawr I want to be all in" to "ok I think gabe will fire a 2nd barrel it's button vs blinds and we're not so deep that I need to protect my hand" to "oh [censored] an ace hit and he checked maybe he actually hit it and oh wow I do have a heart so the best play by a mile is to check and decide but mentally I'm callin a bet" to "oh he bet the river there is a chance he has SOMETHING and I think that something COULD be better then MY something" so I just shoved. (but you were getting a very good price)

I still can't decide if I like the push from a bluff standpoint... calling (my norm) is likely better, but you mucked instantly that I'm starting to think you really would've mucked an ace that quickly too, since how can it be a fold w/ a ten and a call with an ace, you know? Then again in the heat of battle sometimes peopel don't think like that, and truly an ace IS a call and a ten IS a fold, even though the smallest % of %s people are shoving JJ-KK as a bluff.

[ QUOTE ]

wtf? We really need to lock these threads

[/ QUOTE ]
Im sorry, if that's common practice to let a well die, that's fine with me, but I was linked this so I'm happy to answer the qs
Old 10-31-2007, 03:23 PM

Are you still coaching?

Rates?

Would it be worth it for a 100nl player? (I mean, obviously the lesson would be worth it... but if I only have a 30bi roll, is it worth it then?)
Old 10-31-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf you're dumb
Old 10-31-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf you're dumb

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-31-2007, 04:55 PM

GP- i think he told me he folded AA cuz he put you on the hearts
Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bobbo,

I see you advocate more semi-bluff pushes than any other poster. Your variance must be super high. What's your largest downswing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, my variance is not super high. There are a bunch of reasons for this, but this thread 2 weeks ago explained why. maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, good read. What do you think of this?

[ QUOTE ]
Standard? SB is your typical 30/10 recreational player.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$1/$2 Blinds
6 Players
Lego Poker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
<font color="black">SB: $204</font>
BB: $200.75
UTG: $334.60
<font color="black">MP: $249.75</font>
CO: $221.45
<font color="black">Hero (BTN): $197</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($3, 6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $7</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $7, SB calls $6, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($23, 3 Players)
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $17</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $47</font>, MP folds, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $190</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. very interesting hand, for a ton of reasons. I hope if you posted this, it generated good discussion, because it deals with: Calling pf w/ SC in pos (1) dealing with a decent draw in a 3way raised pot (2) facing a c/r from a non pfr when they check, which is worrisome (3)

Here's my take:

Preflop I sometimes call here, sometimes fold, and sometimes 3bet. Kinda a cop out, but all 3 can be defended, and depending on villain, can all be right.

On the flop, this is what you should be thinking of: I have an aggressive draw (2 overs, nut OESD, bdflush, but also on a 2tone board) in a raised pot (12 bb in there). effective stack is your stack, 190, or 8x the pot.

First question: If preflop raiser cbets, what is your standard play? interestingly, the play is to call. If you raise you must call a push, and your draw isnt big enough so that you care if you put the last bet in or not. you need to be able to put the last bet in to work it effectively (winning a mid sized pot w/o showdown)

However, pfr does not bet, so the next question is, should I bet here? A freecard doesnt hurt, and it looks like if the PFR had anything (overpair, draw, even ace high may cbet!) he would've bet. So, I'd discount him. The sb's range is 30/10, which is pretty wide here, and does NOT mean his range is weighted towards small pairs/etc. So, alot of his hands (Ax, broadways) also missed.

So i'd bet 3/4 pot with a fairly wide range of hands here, (~20, I do like your bet here) and obv fold alot of the stuff to a sb c/r.

However, this time, you have a solid hand that has a ton of equity vs most hands. So the next question is should you push (he'd be calling ~145 to win 410, or he'd need 35% equity) and you'd be laying 173 to pick up 87, and when called roughly (this is the fun part, how much equity do you think you have when called? Never more then 40%, although in bizzaro world you could technically have the best hand vs 67spades or something... but id lean to ~30% in general. real good time for a pokerstove sim)

anyway, if always called, this is not a great move. So, would a sb who prolly planend to c/r the pfr (and trap you in the middle, if he was thinking) ever fold to this push? Unfortunately if he c/r a draw (spades that could have yuo high carded) and the such is now priced in, so you cant make draws fold. I think that fold equity is very diminished; but, getting the immediate price of 30:117, with position and stacks left drawing to the nuts, calling becomes very nice.

So, I wont leave you with an exact answer, but rather a few questions:
1. How often do you think he folds to the c/r? (continued) How often does he need to fold to make this +EV?
2. What hand range are you putting him on, given he called pf oop, is somewhat loose passive, then went for a checkraise in a 3way raised pot?
3. If you do call, what should your plans be on different cards?

I will say, in a nutshell, this hand looks solid, but may not be optimal. (Meaning, calling may be better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Also, if we did NOT have position, the decision would be more like push or fold, rather then push or call. Why do you think this is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Bobbo. Great thread! So far ive spent the afternoon reading up to this point. I am a limit player learning NL, and wanted to ask a couple questions about this hand:

1) You say that hero cannot push flop b/c villain would be priced in w/ a draw, having to call 153 to win 410, and needing 35% equity. In doing this calc, why do you include the 153 in the 410? Shouldnt it be 153 to win 257 (the money currently in the pot)? In this case, he would be getting less than 2:1 and not be priced in.

2) Same confusion about 30:117 (the price of just calling on the flop). Preflop there was $23. Hero, bet 17, and got check raised to 47. So he has to call $30 to win a pot which is currently $87. Doesnt this mean hero is getting 30:87, or about 3:1 pot odds, instead of 4:1, and that hero would thus need 25% equity instead of 20%?

Just want to make sure Im doing these correctly. In limit, if it costs me $10, and there is $100 in the pot, I always thought I am getting 10:1 and not 11:1. (I dont include the $10 i have to pay in the pot size). Hopefully i havent been doing this incorrectly for the last couple years!

Again, cool thread. Do you currently have any availability for new students?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:40 PM

I dont mean to keep shamelessly bumping this, again, apologies.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you still coaching?

Rates?

Would it be worth it for a 100nl player? (I mean, obviously the lesson would be worth it... but if I only have a 30bi roll, is it worth it then?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I'm coaching, I coach more then I play I think. I charge 200$/session. Is it worth it? Well, on a 3k bankroll I hope you'd be playing alot, or else, no, it would not. But otherwise yes, it would.

[ QUOTE ]

Again, cool thread. Do you currently have any availability for new students?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't put a cap on my students, but I have many, so it's not always possible to schedule a lesson immediately.

About your pot odds question:
People argue with me all the time about this, they shoudl do it their way, I wont stop them, but when figuring out equity you include your call since if a call is correct, the break even point is the neutral point that you get "back" what you put "in," or, the equity share (say you have 20% equity) should not go beyond 20% of the TOTAL pot put in (as in 20 into 60 is ok, even though thats technically not the right odds, it's the right equity share)
Old 11-01-2007, 01:56 PM

I know this have asked before, but I've read many books and not one has helped me as much as the forums.

do you have an update on your book?