Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-23-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Re: 50 Stud Hi: AA vs Ted Forrest

I'm surprised that it seems the consensus is to just call down, fearing trips or a goofy straight. While I agree with Howmany that he will often value-bet his two pair hands on the river anyway, it seems like just calling is just too weak. For example, if he checks behind on the river but would have called down all the way if I 3-bet, I could lose up to 2 bets. It also might cause him to be more aggressive on the big streets in later hands if he sees that I won't even 3-bet with my strong holding.

On the other hand, I would truly be sick if he capped 6th street, which he would probably do with anything that beats my hand. But what is the likelihood of that? Isn't it textbook to wait until 6th to raise with two pair to make sure that a possible bigger pair doesn't make an open pair? If we suppose he will raise with two pair, trips, a straight, and a few semibluffs thrown in, can we analyze the situation a little more?

Perhaps a solution would be to just call the raise and then either bet out or check/raise the river. One thing that appeals to me about check/raising the river is that is unlikely to 3-bet no matter what he has (notice I could have hit a heart flush, for example). And we all know that few players make big laydowns to river check/raises, even top players like Ted.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Results:

I thought for a second and, even though I didn't think he would limp with Queens, decided that he probably has some two pair hand. So I 3-bet and he just called (phew). I bet the river and he called. He had in fact limped with split Queens and made Queens up.

Thanks for the responses; more comments welcome.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Results:

[ QUOTE ]
I thought for a second and, even though I didn't think he would limp with Queens, decided that he probably has some two pair hand. So I 3-bet and he just called (phew). I bet the river and he called. He had in fact limped with split Queens and made Queens up.

Thanks for the responses; more comments welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did he have the straight draw to go with it? vnh btw
Old 10-24-2007, 05:51 PM

It would be somewhat difficult to have a straight draw to go with his two pair on 6th street.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:10 PM

He had Q7 in the hole.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be somewhat difficult to have a straight draw to go with his two pair on 6th street.

[/ QUOTE ]
He didn't state whether Ted made Q's up on 6th or the river. Now that we know his actual hole cards, I can figure it out for myself kthx.