Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Another NL Tourney vs Cash Post

I realize all the cash vs tourney posts but I think this one has not been covered enough. I am talking about the "feel" between the two games. It seems that cash games feel the same to me as early tourney play. But this is not helping beat cash games.

Just for context, I play $20-$100 buyin MTTs and qualify occasionally for the bigger MTTs. In cash games, I am usually at the NL100 tables.

My stats in tourneys indicate I am a "bomb" which is semi-loose agg/agg. Just going over my play by the blinds, I find that I am tight pass/agg early and change to looser agg/agg and end at hyper aggressive. (I play SnGs the same way).

My stats for cash games are generally tight pass/agg. And this is my main concern. Usually, I will break even in cash games and I know I'm better than that.

So what we have here is a competent tourney player who can't make a positive winrate at the cash tables. I haven't given you enough info to help me specifically but I would appreciate generic advice for a player who is likely a little too tight. For example, I have trouble calling any re-raise unless I have the top four hands. And action on the flop usually drives me away unless I have TPTK or better or a really good draw. I seem to be okay if I get past the flop and especially heads up. My aggressiveness kicks in on the turn and river when I know where I stand.

When I buy in, it's for the max so I like to stay as deep as I can.

Any generic advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Another NL Tourney vs Cash Post

What range you call a 3bet depends on your position, and on the PRF% of the player. If the player is in the 20% range he is likely to be 3betting 99+ AJo+ and mabye some hands like KQs QJs.

I use to use your strategy of basically fit or fold on the flop and it can be winning but at a small rate. You really need to learn to semi bluff and or float and take some pots away. Mind you I am only a $25NL player, but the same ideas apply
Old 09-26-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Another NL Tourney vs Cash Post

To be a successful cash game player you have to be able to handle marginal situations effectively . If your goal is to improve your cash game play , specifically short handed tables , then I recommend you play heads up cash games with the thought of thinking long term benefits .

I think it may be the most difficult obstacle to overcome ; to handle the transition between full ring and short-handed tables .If you're thinking long term , then playing heads up matches helps you identify many marginal situations that will pay dividends when you get into 6max or full ring cash games . In many instances , you will be down to 2 players , so why not learn the art of heads up poker ?

As a warning of caution , there is a difference in how you handle a heads up pot at a full ring compared to a 2 player table; however , heads up cash games allows you to improve on your marginal situations and may help you overcome your timidity in the early going .

Again , if you're thinking long term and you wish to be able to handle marginal situations , then you should consider sacrificing some short run profits for the benefit of handling marginal situations better .