Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 09-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Car mods; restoration; rehab; audio thread

[ QUOTE ]
hey guids, can you post a pic of your Superbee before you started restoring it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have any, I will try to take some pics of it in the current state (engine out, frame off, no interior etc)
Old 09-08-2007, 06:05 PM

what kind of condition was it in when you bought it? I may be annoying you with many poorly worded dumb questions quite soon (in other words I now own a Jensen-Healey).
Old 09-08-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of condition was it in when you bought it? I may be annoying you with many poorly worded dumb questions quite soon (in other words I now own a Jensen-Healey).

[/ QUOTE ]

not bad, not great, the interior was [censored], we had to put new floor pans in, take care of a little rust on the fenders and quarter panesl (bought a new hood, but just because it had scoops). We took it all apart, sanded it, my dad puttied it and did the body work, than we are going to send it off to see what else needs to be done. Basically, it wasnt in terrible shape, but we ripped it apart to make it like new.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:27 PM

Surface rust (as long as it isnt that bad) isnt too bad, some sanding, and a good body shop or learning how to putty should do the trick, if its rusted through, basically you have to cut the affected area out, weld in new sheet, and blend it all in, a little trickier.

I really dont know much about body work, and I dont have a knack for it, my dad usually does that stuff.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,
how did you handle the body/rust restoration? Did you send it to a shop? Or did you do it yourself? I think that's the major issue with restoring a car yourself. You need welders and other equipment to do the job right. It's probably worth it in most cases to send it out for repair. I think interior and engine rebuilds can be done at home easier than bodywork.

I had a '56 VW bug (oval window), it had a nice body, needed a bit of work, and I didn't have the resources to work on the body. I ended up selling it. Wish I hadn't now, but I didn't have much of a choice. I was pretty lazy at the time, but I did get some engine work done.

I will buy another old bug, and I plan on building a hot motor for it. If anyone's restored a car and has pictures, it would be cool to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

we have a 12 car garage my dad inherited, and more equipment (welders, plasma, small sand baster etc) than anyone should ever have. My dad repairs that stuff, so he has a lot of connections w/ people calling him saying "if you can fix it, take it, becuase I want it out of the house/shop etc", so he gets a lot of free stuff.

if you dont have an actual shop shop w/ equiipment, I cant imagine how you would be able to do this stuff, and would probably be cheaper just to pay someone to do it all by the time you purchase everything. I grew up in a car guys house hold though, we have had tons of them moving in and out, and my dad spends about 5 hours every day (at least) over in the garage working on stuff.