Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 08-30-2007, 02:10 AM

Default Stud8 tricky river spot

Both opponents are quite bad, which is why I felt bloating the pot as the only low, with the live ace, was the best play. Now, I didn't get raised on 6th, and it seems like Seat 6 would definitely raise on 6th if he had broadway...I might even have a value bet on the river?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___raises___calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (13.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (9.67 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (12.67 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (15.67 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___???
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___

Old 08-30-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Stud8 tricky river spot

check and scoop amirite?

although i wouldn't do this...bet/fold seems like the best best play here
Old 08-30-2007, 02:16 AM

On the bright side I love that you hit a nine on the river. I think I can value bet here for the high scoop, but its slim.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check and scoop amirite?

although i wouldn't do this...bet/fold seems like the best best play here

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean, trips or a straight might not even raise me here, right? my board is pretty scary.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i mean, trips or a straight might not even raise me here, right? my board is pretty scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll probably figure you for a low anyhow so they won't see much value in raising. Plus you'll definitely get paid off by worse two pair hands. If you were to check, you'd call a bet anyways, right?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:53 AM

Yeah, if I were to check, I'd probably call one but not two bets (and overcall if necessary). The problem is that when I check my hand is always two pair (but not necessarily aces up).
Old 08-30-2007, 03:06 AM

Your opponents: well, aside from 3rd street, neither one of them rasied you so it leads me to believe that neither of them were rolled up or had hit hidden trips because those 2 hands raise you for sure at least once along the way.

Look at your board: Not only do you have 4 low cards, but it's also possible for you to have a straight as well as a flush. And Aces up is also a contender.

So, what hands will pay you off? All 2 pair hands will, and possibly even 1 big pair, due to pot size.

And, if you bet and either one of them can raise you, you should have an easy fold.

Also, because your board was so strong, if someone backed into trips, you STILL might not even get raised. Not to mention, alot of players who play this game feel that, after looking at your board, "what's the point in raising with my (insert good hand here), he probably has a low anyway." (you smelling the value yet???...because this is where most of it lies).

Seems like an easy value bet to me. Especially when there's a great chance of A) getting paid off by worse hands and B) not getting raised by better ones. That's pure, sheer value all wrapped up. Remember, you don't have to be 100% about your hand in order for there to be value from the bet. Not betting here would be an error.