Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Sony\'s massive PS3 server

We're having semantic issues here. If you would like to call the third man in the chain client->server->X a matchmaker than that's fine. I find it misleading however, as XBox live in this particular case of X does much more than just match making or even authentication. Eg - for Halo 3, game specific persistent data such as levels/ranks are stored on 'X'.

Although again, in the case of Final Fantasy XI / Phantasy Star Universe XBox live works as a dedicated server in the completely classic sense.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:54 PM

It's not misleading, and it's not semantics. The main purpose of a dedicated server is to be located on a high speed hub and all clients connect to the server and not to one of the players. Stat tracking, while it can be done by a dedicated server, isn't necessary, and in the case of Live is done by the matchmaker instead of the server. Calling Live a dedicated server would be akin to saying that planes and cars are the same since hey, they both take me from point A to point B.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:17 PM

Dudd, this is getting silly. First off, XBox live works as a classic "dedicated server" in all senses of the word for Phantasy Star Universe / Final Fantasy XI. This is the first thing I said in this thread, and is sufficient to respond to Hume's incorrect assertion. Secondly, I stated that XBox live also works as a "server facility in a nonclassic sense" (my exact wording!) for other games. And I spent way too much time elaborating on exactly what I meant. I intentionally made sure to use "classic vs nonclassic" terminology to avoid semantic issues like this.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the info from all.

Why did Sony mass PS3s rather then using a regular dedicated server? Any advantages to doing it this way?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:58 PM

Cool factor [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gist of it all being that XBox Live basically works as a dedicated server for all XBox 360 games

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Just because matchmaking for many games is client/server between peers does not mean there's no dedicated servers for said games, as the peers are always initially connected through the Live servers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, I've defended you in other Sony threads because most of what you've posted I've agreed with, but you clearly understand what a dedicated server is and yet for some reason want to come up with some made up non-classical term to suit Live.

As to why they used PS3s instead of a regular server, they certainly have enough inventory to use up, so probably that plus the cool factor
Old 08-13-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Look, I've defended you in other Sony threads because most of what you've posted I've agreed with, but you clearly understand what a dedicated server is and yet for some reason want to come up with some made up non-classical term to suit Live.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm honestly just not really sure what you're disagreeing with! Here is what I am saying:

1. XBox Live IS a dedicated server, in your terminology, for Final Fantasy XI and Phantasy Star Universe.

2. XBox live IS NOT a dedicated server, in your terminology, for other games.

3. XBox Live DOES offer "server facilities in a nonclassical sense" for all other games, in my terminology.

4. XBox Live DOES work as a "matchmaking service" for all other games, in your terminology.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:19 AM

Dire for someone who claims not to be a fanboy, you're spinning this [censored] like one. Xbox lives offers no server facilities in terms of gameplay. All online play will be susceptible to the reliability and speed of the determined host. I believe that's what Dudd is getting at.

Also, Xbox live isn't acting as a dedicated server for FFXI or Phantasy Star. Those servers belong to a third party (PlayOnline for FFXI I think), and you have to pay an online fee in addition to your Xbox live fee to play on them.