Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Ask me about Starbucks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They have the breakfast sandwiches them at the Sbux by my house. Very tasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume they serve these all day (or when they run out of them)?

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they shut down the oven at some point, but it seems you can get them into the day. Also that oven is some kind of techno marvel. It cooks a whole sandwich to scalding temps in like 30 seconds, and they're crispy.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 PM

traz,

Helpful, thanks.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ClassicBob,

NBA POSTERS REPRESENT!!! Good job with this thread. Hope you're not still pissed at me cuz I forgot you in that list of Mavericks homers that one time.

Hey, I'm a 2-3X/week Starbucks customer (Iced Chai Latte, sue me). I typically go in one in the Safeway by my place since I have a 1/2 mile commute to work. However, there are two standalone Starbucksesses a mile to the west and another couple a mile or two the other way.

Anyway, I've heard a stigma attached to the ones in grocery stores and what not, that they're not "real" Starbucks. Any thoughts that the product or talent level of baristas may be inferior at those? My drink is ridiculously easy to make so they get it right, but the employees are Safeway employees, not Starbucks employees, and their pastry selection is disappointingly slim as well. What have you heard?

[/ QUOTE ]

You still my boy, tup.

Good question, here.

Starbucks that you see in Targets, Safeways, Airports, etc. are more times than not "not real Starbucks." They are owned by the store around them, and are considered "licensed concepts." You can't expect the same level of customer service or depth of knowledge at one as you will at an actual store. However, an Iced Chai is the easiest drink that we make, they'll never screw that up. I doubt they use the same food distributor, so their pastry selections could very well be stuff that the grocery store sells, but I could be wrong about that.

They won't screw up your Chai, but if you have any real questions, I'd go to a real Starbucks.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm addicted to the tarasomething chicken sandwich with cranberries. I will Admit to eating this tasty sandwich every work day for the past 2 months. Sometimes I will eat one for breakfast and again for lunch. Why does the liquid sugar they have taste fruity. How come the breakfast sandwiches suck so bad. How come everybody that works at Starbucks is so very overly nice and sometimes zany nice.

Am I nuts for spending close to 100 bucks at star bucks a week? Or do you have regulars that spend about the same. What is the average tip from a customer. I'm sure it adds up by the end of the shift.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tarragon Chicken Salad sandwich is definitely my favorite sandwich.

Don't know about fruity simple (Classic) syrup.

We are told to act cheerful, always be happy, etc. Some people don't. I actually find that being over-the-top cheerful is hilariously fun to do. Greeting half-awake caffeine zombies loudly gets you some awesome reactions. Entertaining myself in that fashion helps get me through the day.

100 bucks a week is pretty steep, but you are buying lunch everyday. I've seen multiple people who will spend 50+ a week, without food involved.

Tips vary from store to store, region to region. The two stores I've been at typically have averaged around $1.70 per hour, per person in tips. Some get more, some get less. I've heard that Baristas in Vegas clear 4 bucks an hour in tips. I think you'd be surprised at how many people don't tip. Also, we don't have an option to write in tips on credit cards, which hurts.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're referring to the Banana Dulce coffee cake, I think it's gone for good

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! You finally did it! You bastards!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ClassicBob,

Also, ballpark, what % of the employees you've worked with in your time there have been gay or lesbian? It seems to attract them like flies for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only worked with 1 lesbian. However, of the male employees, I would guess that more than 50% are gay, and I may be underestimating.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those little coffee/brownie triangle things, just ridiculously delicious or is there a little bit of crack baked into each one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Espresso Fudge Brownies? They are good, and have a little bits of espresso beans in them, I believe, which is close to crack.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ClassicBob,

NBA POSTERS REPRESENT!!! Good job with this thread. Hope you're not still pissed at me cuz I forgot you in that list of Mavericks homers that one time.

Hey, I'm a 2-3X/week Starbucks customer (Iced Chai Latte, sue me). I typically go in one in the Safeway by my place since I have a 1/2 mile commute to work. However, there are two standalone Starbucksesses a mile to the west and another couple a mile or two the other way.

Anyway, I've heard a stigma attached to the ones in grocery stores and what not, that they're not "real" Starbucks. Any thoughts that the product or talent level of baristas may be inferior at those? My drink is ridiculously easy to make so they get it right, but the employees are Safeway employees, not Starbucks employees, and their pastry selection is disappointingly slim as well. What have you heard?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to reply to this because the one I worked at was in a safeway.

I started there when the starbucks was first put in. Since it was opened yet, we got a full week of training in the kiosk without having to deal with customers. We spent a full 40 hours with a starbucks trainer before the store was even opened.

All future employees we hired were trained with the same structure and testing as regular starbucks employees. We had regular and inspectors to make sure everything as up to starbucks code and all that jazz.

People think it's a lower version of starbucks, but it's really exactly the same, albeit with limited pastries. The drink menu is still the same.

The employees get shafted though. The safeway union benefits, by and large, are alot worse than the starbucks ones. We didn't get any perks at all. Plus we had to deal with twice as many secret shoppers (safeway and starbucks).

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like traz pwned me on the licensed concepts.

Whatever.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:12 PM

1. I like a lot of milk in the coffee so I order a grande in a venti cup - otherwise I have to pour out a ton of coffee into the garbage every time I put milk in. Acceptable practice?
2. Does the brewing of a new "featured coffee" almost every day actually drive sales of whole bean bags of that coffee? Maybe it's because I am usually only in a Starbucks during the AM rush, but I never see people buy bags of coffee.
3. I order a grande iced unsweetened coffee. The cashier calls out "iced grande unsweetened iced coffee" every time. Why repeat the word iced?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:13 PM

Blarg,

OK, now that you've clarified that when you wrote "I don't think a lot of economically challenged people are going to starbucks for their coffee, hippie or not" you were simply saying that homeless people who have basically no money aren't going to Starbucks for coffee.

Sure, I agree with that, but I guess I don't see the point of why you would even bother to write that.