Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 07-27-2007, 07:38 PM

Default attept to knock out a better hand...

3/5 live nl (8 handed).

SB: $450
UTG: $200
HJ (me): $800

SB is not very good. Stuff like position, stacks, and the like seem to go over his head. He does however understand the value of the dollar so to speak and isn't just a degen gambler.

UTG is the definition of weak tight. Played minimal hands. When he raises preflop his range is well defined. When he bets out, he has TP minimum. He has some tells though in his decisiveness in his bets. If he is mulling it over he tends to have a marginal hand and so on...

I have been active enough. Alot of small opens and just messin around. When I show down though, I have it. Shown KK and AJ (TPTK) when people folded to a flop bet just to let them know I 'have it' when I bet.

UTG limps, folded to me and I make it $20 from the HJ with the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB calls as does UTG.

($65) Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

SB leads for $45, UTG takes some time and seems to struggle with his move. He finally shoves for $180. I shove......

Good, Bad, Ugly??????
Old 07-27-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: attept to knock out a better hand...

I think it is better value for you if he stays in the hand. Your ace overcard is probably worthless here, and your flush draw in most cases is a simple hit or miss for the nuts.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:58 PM

If you insist on playing after UTG pushes then I think you do want SB to fold so pushing yourself is best. However, I don't think this is a great flop + flop action to press your draw and so I would just fold.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:01 PM

I don't like it. Even if SB folds 100% of the time, you don't have the proper odds to draw against UTG's super-narrow range of hands.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:16 AM

xcrackx,

What exactly do you think UTG's narrow range consists of?

xSCWx,

Do you think SB will be potstuck if a heart comes? Also, is it ever better to have a known better hand still in the pot? If I call and we miss the turn, I will be forced to call SB's stack with one card to come.

Jackflashdrive,

What makes this flop a bad one. I thought it was great given the fact that there are numerous draws out with me holding the best one?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:23 PM

The action on this particular flop makes me think that simply catching an A will not do it for you. UTGs delay and push expecting at least 1 if not 2 callers and his delay lead me to think he has a strong made hand. I just don't see him having a draw unless it is a combo draw or better.

On a different flop I'd be more inclined to think your A counted as an out.