Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 07-27-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: i\'m i too passive?

3.5:1 pot odds. on the flop, and folded if i didn't improve on the turn.
on the Turn 3.62:1 pot odds to call when i improve, and i did, but i don't feel i'm strong enough to lead out.
River 3.31:1 pot odds
are those odds enough to call here? or i'm just simply use pot odds the wrong way?
*i can't find any books that discuss about pot odds other then odds on str8/flush draws.
i did like to know
what's good odds to call the rag flop with nothing but over card.
what's good odds too call the rag flop with top pair or top set on a 3 suited board.
let's say, everybody fold but you and the other guy, and you have position. and he lead out.
are the odds to call change when you don't have position?
Old 07-27-2007, 05:42 PM

You've gotta ask yourself if you think your win % is high enough to justify calling. On the flop, if you have 3.5 to 1 odds, you need to feel you can win 2 out of 9 tries (give or take). I think the action is screaming out that you're beat here.

Remember that those odds are to IMPROVE your hand...not necessarily win. If a jack had come out to give you a set, you'd still be losing to a jack with a better kicker.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:06 PM

A club improves your hand most on the turn and it's not close. Do you see why? Seven on turn is marginal improvement, maybe worth calling down or raising. A Jack does not change things, you either had best hand on flop and still do or you were beat and still are. Fold the flop. Fold preflop. Jack is not an 'out'.