Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 03:44 PM

Default $1/$2 NL Live Hand

This was from a live hand I played last night. I'm in seat 8, with a bit over $200 and to my left in seat 9 is the button who has me covered by a bit. Seat 9 is fairly new to the table, don't really have too much of a read on him, the only hands I've seen him play are him playing heads up with seat 10, who seemed to be a friend of his, and they were just checking it.

I'm dealt: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Several limpers are already in the pot and I make it $15 from the cutoff. Player to my left (button obv) calls, everyone else folds.

Flop comes: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $20, he calls.

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check to him, he bets $25 and I call.

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check again to him, he bets $50 and I again make the call.

At this point, I thought he might have made Jack's full on the river but I wasn't entirely sure, which is why I called to find out. I was wrong, and he tabled A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], which really surprised me, since he just called preflop. I think I did a pretty good job of minimizing my losses in this hand.

Should I have bet out on the turn again to find out where I was at? Suggestions?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: $1/$2 NL Live Hand

looks fine
Old 06-11-2007, 12:42 PM

Ditto.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:14 PM

Looks good.

If you wanted to bet again I would think the river is the place to do it. With an board entirely of undercards to your pair you could put in a valuebet here. It may also function as a bit of a blocking bet. It depends on how tricky villain is, and how much you want to get to showdown, because if he raises it will be very hard to make the call. If villain is aggressive or tricky, or if he's unknown, I like check/calling. If villain is passive and fishy I like a bet on the end.

$0.02.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Well played in my opinion.

Since he called the flop, he pretty much has to have either a pocket pair (most likely not AA or KK) or a 7. You beat more hands than you lose to at this point.

On the turn you could bet if you knew the villian was stationy otherwise I like your check.

On the river, again if your opponent is stationy betting is good, if he is aggro checking is good, if he is in between, then I think I like checking better.

His bet was pretty small on the turn, it might mean weakness, but since he could have checked behind, I figure it might more likely mean strength so I would play it safer.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:37 PM

I think the play was fine. You minimized your losses. Like others said, you could put in value bets in case villain is stationy, but you must have the discipline to fold if he reraises you.

BTW, sorry to piggyback on your thread, but could you (or anyone) tell me how you get those suit icons to show up on your post? I'd like to make mine more readable to users.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, sorry to piggyback on your thread, but could you (or anyone) tell me how you get those suit icons to show up on your post? I'd like to make mine more readable to users.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Below the place where you type your post there are things called "insta-graemlins". You can just click on these to insert them into your post. Alternatively you can sepearate the name of the suit with colons. ;heart; except with regular colons.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:33 PM

If I'm the button, I'm having a hard time not raising preflop.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:22 AM

Well played. You didn't loose much and that's always good.