Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Re: I suck

[ QUOTE ]
I Suck

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a mac

[/ QUOTE ]

Now it makes sense. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, im also a n00b but i just won my first 180 man roughly an hour ago. Here is my advice. You are going to feel like you absolutely blow, and your going to get bad beats that you feel like will never end. Eventually, youll win something, and youll realize you actually were getting better the entire time. Just play the smallest stakes you can and eventually youll be a ballah.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:15 AM

I have a mac and can play any site and use pokertracker. All you need is Boot Camp or Parallels and you use either dual-boot windows/osx or run xp in an emulation window.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a mac and can play any site and use pokertracker. All you need is Boot Camp or Parallels and you use either dual-boot windows/osx or run xp in an emulation window.

[/ QUOTE ]

Likewise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(I'm not an ATC player by any means, but I hate just hating [waiting] for premium hands to come to me)

[/ QUOTE ]

Found your problem.

The easiest way to come out ahead in the microlimit games is to simply sit there and nut peddle. Your opponents love to pay you off, andthey hate to fold. Use that. And understand that as well; you cannot bluff a weak player off of his hand if he'll never fold any pair.

Correct poker, especially when played 1 table at a time (as you should be doing for now), is basically pretty boring. You fold a lot, your stack gradually dwindles down, and then eventually you get a hand & drag a pot. If you remain disciplined & stick with solid play (don't try to "outplay" opponents who are only looking at their own two cards), that will produce a long-term winning expectation.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At first I tried my loose-aggresive style that did well for me before -- bluffing when I thought I perceived weakness, playing lots of assortments of hands (I'm not an ATC player by any means, but I hate just hating for premium hands to come to me).

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't read the rest of the thread, because it is complete [censored].

HERE is your problem, here.

QUIT BLUFFING IMMEDIATELY.

May be you are the next Phil Ivey, or better. May be you are the best LAG in the world.

BUT YOU NEED BAKROLL FOR DOING SUCH [censored]!

Really big bankroll!

And not 20 buy-ins - 40 at VERY VERY MINIMUM! 100 - the optimal.

Because good bluffing - is good variance as well. And good profit, yeah. But good variance.

You can be perfect LAG and BUSTO your bankroll. Just because variance had downswing.

But more over - you suck at poker. So, you will lose by bluffing by just doing stupid thing. And you will do it, because you are newbie. And you will tilt. And you will make more stupid things. And lose muy-ins again. And after that you will lose again. And you will bust all your BR, though you are good poker player.

So, man.

FORGET ABOUT BLUFFING TILL YOU BUILD YOUR ROLL.

Bluff only when you have 100 buy-ins. Not because variance is that big, but because YOU suck in poker and need learning. And every LAG needs SPACE. And what king of space can you have with ridiculous ammount of buy-ins and when you KNOW you can't win em back just because of variance.

Play ABC Poker. Till you win. Then play ABC poker again and win more. Then if you want to learn LAG - go low limits and practice with 100 buy-ins. You will have a lot of fun. And a lot of winnings - if LAG is your style of course(practice will show, what game is really your style).
Old 05-11-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Likewise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-12-2007, 03:32 AM

i'm going thru this "i suck" phase too. i got into poker because of one of my friends who i got hired at my job. he makes his money on the .50/1 tables. he does pretty well at it and he transferred $150 to me on ultimatebet so i could start up an account. i started on the .05/.10 tables...lost about $50 and then grinded up it to $200. quickly enough i was up at $650 and i was thinking that i was getting the poker thing down. hell, i was dabbling on the $100 tables within a few weeks. so i transferred the $150 back to him and long story short i am down to $30 and back to playing the .05/.10 tables.

he is trying to teach me a TAG style, but it's so frustrating because he will see some setup and be able to pickup when someone is likely bluffing and i see it and i am thinking the dude has me beat. now i am obsessively trying to figure this crap out. it's funny because i am a professional stock trader and i will be playing poker on the $10 tables as i am trading and a $3 loss from a horrible play by me hurts my heart a lot more than losing $500+ in a trade...and i hate losing money when i am trading. or if i have a really good day trading and i lose $10 playing poker i feel like my day was bad lol. i guess i am just demented like that...it's just the feeling of losing at something after you started off so well at it. it is very frustrating.

i am already pretty patient with my poker play and nothing really gets to me other than my horrible plays but i guess at the cheap buyins i have to be uber-patient and not get too cute with my plays. i don't know...all i know is i need to do more study and practice with it.