Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Continuation Bet on Loose Passive Tables

Trying to do some game evaluation. Usually play 6/12 or 8/16 occasionally stepping up to 15/30.

Thoughts on continuation bets in loose passive games with position. for example. 4 limpers, raise on the button w/AKo

Flop J T 3 rainbow. Checked to you. Action?

Another scenerio,

4 limpers, hero raises 88 on the botton, all call,

Flop J T 5 rainbow. Checked to hero, Action?

I feel like I am not reducing the field enough in passive game for this to be profitable and I am giving better odds for people to draw.

I feel like these CB's are costing my profits in the long run in these loose passive game. should I be checking for a free card more often?

Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Continuation Bet on Loose Passive Tables

I'm betting the first hand if I think it will buy me a free card on the turn. Otherwise, I'm checking if there's a possibility my bet will still lead to turn donks. OOP I usually just check/call.

In hand 2 I hope to spike trips or an OESD on the turn. Otherwise I'm c/fing.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 AM

Had a hand come up today kind of lime the first hand with AQ, I bet the flop, got 3 callers, checked the turn when I missed again & it was checked to me, caught a Q on the river and bet it out and took down the pot. Obv a great river card but my river bet knocked everyone out except one guy was calling down with anything. Player dependant but I like a bet in the first hand to knock a few out if possible.

2nd one- sometimes I will bet that other times take the free one.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 AM

Hand 1 - I c-bet this about 99% of the time. Mainly this is to limit the field and get value out of my 6 outs. And a free ride on the turn would be nice in case I miss.

Hand 2 - I wouldn't have raised this in the first place. As played, 3rd pair is not a hand to c-bet with, especially with that many people in the hand and only two outs: c/f.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:43 PM

For me Hand #1 is a clear bet. You have as many as 10 outs, a better hand might fold, there is some (small) chance you have the best hand, and betting might get you a free turn card. This is pretty textbook in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:31 PM

Hand 1: Easy bet. You want to thin the field if possible (better hands like small/mid pocket pairs have a very hard time calling after this flop), and you have a pretty strong draw if you're behind. There's also a slim chance that you're holding the best hand.

Hand 2: Against 4 opponents I take my 4-card flop in this hand--that is actually one of the reasons you raise with a mid pair behind that many limpers. If the turn is not an 8 or 9 I'm folding to a bet.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:34 PM

The bad: They are passive. They call to the river with bottom pair. Paraphrasing Brunson, "In a no-fold-em hold-em game, you need to show down the best hand to win. That's all there is to it."

The Good: They are passive and you have position. Free card them to death.

Hand One: I like a bet. This is an awesome spot for the free card play. Nice big pot, and your draws are strong. Spike a queen and get bet into.

Hand Two: I also don't see the need for a PFR here. Assuming that, in this game, you need to showdown the best hand to win, I'd just call 88 here.

Just calling preflop gives you so many more options post, since you're more likely to be bet into. Based on the board texture, you can fastplay, slowplay, or release cheap. This is one of those hands where I'm absolutely willing to forego my minimal PF equity edge in exchange for more tactical options postflop. Certain games, you'll even make more when you hit your set WITHOUT raising pre-flop.

But, as you played it, I'd take the free turn. You're probably going to have to show the best hand to win, and that hand will have to be a set.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:47 PM

In my loose passive games I have to initially C-Bet 90%+. I am noticed as the tight player and if I limit my C-Bets then I am never called. If an A or K come I am never called anyway.

I usually play this way until I get caught a couple of times with A high or a pair of sixs before my post flop aggression is discounted but once it is discounted then I am home free. I can value bet till the cows come home because any pair will call.

Its amazing that the same pattern occurs time after time. Now if I could just learn to play no limit.