Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Port

Mods, if this post is better suited to the Lounge, my apologies.

Also, my apologies if this has been covered. I did a search, but all that came up were various trip rePORTs. Ugh.

I don't really drink wine. It's not I think it tastes terrible, but there are plenty of things I'd rather be drinking.

However, I had a glass of a Boal Madeira the other day, and enjoyed it. It reminded me that I had once wanted to buy some port, mainly to see if I like it.

Can anyone recommend some good ports at various price points?

Thanks in advance.

-McGee
Old 09-08-2006, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Port

I don't drink Port wines very often, but I enjoy both Fonseca and Taylor ports. I see both brands at a high percentage of restaurants. I usually drink the 20-year.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:32 PM

A very nice port for beginners is Sandeman Founder's Reserve. $10-14/bottle depending on your area.

DO NOT buy anything called "port" that you may find on the bottom shelf of your grocery store's wine aisile, unless it's an upscale store with a real wine section.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DO NOT buy anything called "port" that you may find on the bottom shelf of your grocery store's wine aisile, unless it's an upscale store with a real wine section.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence this thread. I don't want to just buy whatever I can find; I'd like to get the opinions of people with some knowledge of the subject.

Thanks for the response.

-McGee
Old 09-08-2006, 01:38 PM

I'm not too fond of tawny ports, but I love ruby ports. I know this isn't what you're looking for, so I'm not being much help. But yes, you would have stood a better chance in The Lounge. Here, this post will scroll off so fast, anyone with something worthwhile to add will probably miss it. But you might get lucky, you never know.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But yes, you would have stood a better chance in The Lounge.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a Mod is inclined to move it, that's fine with me.

-McGee
Old 09-08-2006, 01:40 PM

Taylor fladgate is a reasonable brand that isnt crazy expensive.

10 year port tatses pretty good, 20 years are great. They sell 30 and 40 year ports, but it really doesnt add much, just cost.

Typically a 10 year goes for aroun 30-40 and a 20 year is 60-80.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:45 PM

The one I recommended is good to start with, because it is inexpensive, yet has complex enough flavors to study.

Also, the port thread we did 6-8 months (maybe a year) ago had some excellent discussion, IIRC.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the port thread we did 6-8 months (maybe a year) ago had some excellent discussion, IIRC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn. Sorry. I figured it had been covered before, but I couldn't find it.

-McGee
Old 09-08-2006, 02:29 PM

two types: vintage and tawny.

vintage is like any other bottle of wine. the port house ages that year's grapes for 2 years, and then bottle it. It needs to aged BY YOU before drinking. Hold it up to the light and young vintage ports will be black, can't see through it. age that vintage port for 10-20 yrs in your cellar (closet) and put it back to hte light. it'll mature and the hue of the port is now translucent.

in the meantime, port makers bottle tawnys which is port aged by them in oak barrels for how as many years they want to. 10, 15, 20, 30+. they blend the port to their specification (think Glennfidich or other blended whiskies) and ship that out so that you can drink that while waiting for the vintage ports to age.

start with 20 yr tawnys and stick with the portugese in the beginning. if you like that, i suggest branching out and buying half bottles of 15-20 yr vintages to see what you like. Niepoort, Graham, and like somebody mentioned, the taylor is a good place to start. look to spend $30-60.

also, v. strange you don't drink wine but like port. most port drinkers i know guzzle the wine. but who cares, enjoy.