Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Rating the play at AC Hilton

I play in Atlantic City at least once a week. I rarely if ever play at the Hilton. I can't really say why, I guess I just didn't like it the one or two times I played there. I am considering going back there but just wanted to get a heads up on what the competition there is like. Can anyone tell me how good the players are there or had bad the play is there? What is the level of play like? I normally play $1/$2 NL Hold'em.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Rating the play at AC Hilton

Hilton is still a new poker room. In my opinion, the 1/2 NL game is a little tighter here compared to say Borgata or the Taj. You usually have your tourist LAGs during the summer/weekend, but for the most part, it's a tighter game. It took me a little time to get used to a tighter 1/2 game at the Hilton compared to a fishy 1/2 at the Borgata. You will not see many 21-27 year olds in the room, average age is probably 40-50. That itself makes it a little tighter.

Game is still beatable, but with this room being full of regulars and grinders during non-peak times, you have to practice patience and play the right cards.

Maybe someone else can confirm this, since I do not have a players card, but I think the comps are the best of all the poker rooms. I think it is $2/hour for 1/2NL.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:59 PM

Only played there once, but the players seemed especially terrible, even by live 1/2nl standards.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:59 PM

Players are typically especially bad even for the level. It's true that the players are much older than typical, but that doesn't mean that they're better, or less bad.

The problem with the room is that there's nothing to do in case the games dry up, which happens frequently, as there are only a couple of tables going during the day. Large poker rooms like Borgata's might be rockier waters, but at least there will always be enough games going 24/7.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hilton is still a new poker room. In my opinion, the 1/2 NL game is a little tighter here compared to say Borgata or the Taj. You usually have your tourist LAGs during the summer/weekend, but for the most part, it's a tighter game. It took me a little time to get used to a tighter 1/2 game at the Hilton compared to a fishy 1/2 at the Borgata. You will not see many 21-27 year olds in the room, average age is probably 40-50. That itself makes it a little tighter.

Game is still beatable, but with this room being full of regulars and grinders during non-peak times, you have to practice patience and play the right cards.

Maybe someone else can confirm this, since I do not have a players card, but I think the comps are the best of all the poker rooms. I think it is $2/hour for 1/2NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol Atlantic city local grinders lol. There aren't too many local's in A.C. that play good at 1/2 and 2/5 limits but it sounds like from your post all the decent locals muct hang out at the Hilton. Lol
Old 09-25-2007, 10:01 AM

Overall, I don't think you'll find a lot of difference between any two 1/2 NL games in AC. The actual cardrooms vary greatly, and I don't particularly like the Hilton's room. I thought it was rundown.

FWIW, I played at the Hilton on a weekday afternoon once, and I can corroborate that the crowd was old. At 42, I was the youngest person at the table by at least 10 years.

While retirees have an image of having nothing better to do than to play tight and wait around for aces, this game was nothing like that. In fact, this was by far the loosest 1/2 NL in which I have ever played. It played more like a 2/4 limit game. I posted a trip report about the game here: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post9976653

So, in the end, I don't think it matters what room you visit to play 1/2 NL, it matters what table you sit down at.

P.S. The comps are better at the Hilton. I believe that they are $2 an hour for poker players.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 AM

No, did not say that. Sorry, maybe I used the word "grinder" to loosely. There are many regulars there. There are also many regulars at Borgata, Taj, Showboat, etc. One thing is different though, in that Hilton is not known as a young players room. Yes, you have bad players at the Hilton, but from what I have see, there seems to be more TAGs at a table compared to what you would see at Borgata and Taj. Many say, young = LAG, old = TAG. Just becuase I say TAG doesn't mean the room is full of WSOP champions either. You can still play TAG and suck major donkey.

Sorry, I guess since I do not have an ego and do not feel that every 1/2NL game I sit at is a overfilled fish tank, I must be the worlds worst player.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 PM

So, in the end, I don't think it matters what room you visit to play 1/2 NL, it matters what table you sit down at.

truth
Old 09-25-2007, 03:28 PM

Nicky D plays at the Hilton.
He plays there because they have not banned him...yet.
For those who do not know Nicky D he has staked half of the degenerates in Atlantic City.

The Hilton's room comes a close second to the Borgata as far as amenities go. As far as the play goes, sometimes its hit or miss.

I have played in good games there and I have played in bad games there.

The Hilton comps at $2 an hour, and a player can get a hotel room without a problem.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nicky D plays at the Hilton.
He plays there because they have not banned him...yet.
For those who do not know Nicky D he has staked half of the degenerates in Atlantic City.

The Hilton's room comes a close second to the Borgata as far as amenities go. As far as the play goes, sometimes its hit or miss.

I have played in good games there and I have played in bad games there.

The Hilton comps at $2 an hour, and a player can get a hotel room without a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard they were gonna ban him or they already have banned him at the Hilton also.