Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Harrah\'s AC trip report

I haven't seen a Harrah's AC trip report on here in a while so I thought I'd share. I usually play at Harrah's, and never see them get much props. Actually my trip report was two separate runs on Weds. and Sun.

We put our name on the list for 1/2 NL at about 10p on Weds. and although there was about 10 names, they called us one at a time and didn't open a new table. We finally got a seat after a modest 20 minute wait. The table was full of some regulars who played well and tourists who did not have a clue. I was impressed with the number of times we were offered drinks and how cool the dealers were. After about 2 hours of play I see-sawed up and down. I went up on a straight flush that i made to the Jc that did not make the high hand of the day, which would have netted me $200 in comp dollars...oh well. I think I ended down 40 bucks.

Sunday was more interesting. Arriving at noon, we lucked out with 4 seats available and 4 of us playing. We sat down to what had to be the tightest table ever. This was a patience table, because chasing was futile. A few dealers were a bit slow dealing, but again drink service was top notch. My hand of the day was holding A10o and the flop was A A 10. The tight wad table limped in 7 players and then checked around the flop. The turn was a J and finally I said $10 to go. I was very happy to be raised and re-raised. The river was a blank and after another re-raise and almost 150 dollar pot, I took it down to A9o and J7s. It was tight vs. tighter. I had the cards to net about 190 for the session...not bad considering.

All in all, very happy with the Harrah's "weekend".
Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Harrah\'s AC trip report

I dislike most of the dealers at Harrahs. There are four dealers there I like who don't push the action and beg for tips. The others are terrible who complain about how they can't bills.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dislike most of the dealers at Harrahs. There are four dealers there I like who don't push the action and beg for tips. The others are terrible who complain about how they can't bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, earlier this year I was there for their WSOP Circuit Events. One night they spread a 5-10 NL game in the poker room (Rare for Harrah's, games this big usually only get spread at The Borgata) and I was playing in it. I won a hand where I stacked another player and threw $2 on my cards and the dealer threw the money back at me and said he didn't want my money.

A friend of mine was also playing at the table and he got REALLY pissed about this. He called out the dealer for not accepting the tip and said that it was disrespectful to single me out like that. They exchanged some words, and that was the end of it. I stayed quiet for most of the incident, mostly out of shock.

The pot was around $2000 but I tipped him the same way I tip everyone. Based on the fact that I won the hand not on the size of the pot. I play for a living and as far as I am concerned a dealer does the same amount of work when I win as when I lose. I tip $1-3 dollars for the same reason I don't disrespect or verbally bash dealers when I lose, they have no control over the cards.

Looking back I still think that the dealer was in the wrong for causing a scene like that, but to be honest I could care less about the situation. I tipped him, if he doesn't want to accept thats his problem.

-Jerry
Old 08-28-2007, 01:28 PM

He was 100% wrong. If you had called the floor over that's an instant write up. Do you remember which dealer it was? Cause I think remember hearing about this story when it happened.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:21 PM

This is crazy. Why would any dealer ever think they deserved a bigger tip for a bigger pot? Did it take more effort to deal the hand?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:37 PM

Tipping $1 for a $10k pot is standard. Don't worry about it.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is crazy. Why would any dealer ever think they deserved a bigger tip for a bigger pot? Did it take more effort to deal the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tipping is out of control in AC 1-2 and 2-5 NL and this has caused a dealer expectation. I didn't see it as much in Vegas and at 5-10NL in AC the tipping drops drastically. My roommate (poster) deals at Harrah's and has gotten $40 tips in 1-2 but I am sure he appreciates a buck no matter the size of the pot.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 PM

I know who the dealer is. I knew I heard this story before. You're right about the tipping on a 1-2, 2-5 in Atlantic City. I tip well and when I started playing 1-5 stud instead of NL, the dealers at Harrah's kept asking me to come back over to the NL side. I know they are pumping me for tips and it's rather annoying.

Does your roommate deal at Harrahs in AC or Vegas?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:40 PM

Guess I will post my dealer tip story from last Friday too. Was playing around midnight at a 1/2 NL table at the Borgata when a tourist on my right won a 400 dollar pot. He won with a crazy hand and in his excitement forgot to tip. The dealer whose name was Lee did not let this go. He grabbed a spacing chip and rapped the table by his tip box several times. Then the next time when it was that players button, the dealer only dealt him 1 card. Then when the tourist spoke up, the dealer said " Oh did I forget something? " Then dealt him his final card.

I was utterly disgusted by the dealers behavior, and for whatever reason did not mention it to the floor. I should have though, but at the time I was too worried about making a scene and upsetting the two fish to my right.

I'm probably part of the problem though, whenever I stack someone for 200 bucks or more I tip a redbird. This is the only time I have seen a Borgata dealer blatantly ask for a tip/get upset.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:46 PM

I've seen a couple Borgata dealers say or do something to remind someone that they forgot to tip. The one I remember best is that while he was getting ready to deal the next hand (well after he pushed the pot and gathered the cards), he says to the winner, "nice pot, sir". Then they guy says, "Oh, I forgot!" and flips him a couple whites. The player didn't mind, but I didn't like that the dealer was fishing for his tip.

I've seen another dealer there say to the next dealer, "watch out for seat 4," which was a player that was stiffing him on tips. What's he going to "watch out" for?