Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 04:24 AM

Default Im not doing as well at HU SNG\'s as I thought I would

Ive recently started playing at stars and Ive been playing a lot of there 1100, 2200, and 5500 hu sngs. Before this, I played almost exclusively cash games, mostly HU. Ive been a solid winner up to 100/200 NL, and Ive taken a few successful shots at the 200/400 hu game on prima, although I am not quite on the same level as the regulars there.

In the HU sngs, I seem to do just fine when the blinds are relatively small (10/20 and 15/30, with 75 and 50 bbs respectively). It seems that more often than not after these 2 levels I have a chip lead on my opponent. However, I think I lose my edge when the blinds go up. Playing shortstacked is a foreign concept to me. I really dont know how to handle preflop situations with 10bbs a piece. Currently, Ive been min raising preflop from the button a decent amount, depending on my opponents tendancies. It doesnt really seem to be working. I seem to either get run over by my opponent pushing over the top of my raises a lot, or put my money in 40-60. I dont really have a statistically significant sample size to make that statement, as poker with ten bbs seems to have a lot of variance, but thats my initial impression.

What Im looking for is concrete advice on general strategy when you and your opponent both have roughly 1500 chips and the blinds are 50-100 and higher. Preferrably, Id like to hear from people who play these stakes or at least close to them, but I dont think a whole lot of those people frequent this forum. If someone reads this who does conistently beat these stakes, I would also be really interested in some private coaching, maybe just an hour or two. I would be willing to either pay cash (I could match your hourly poker rate or whatever you want) or exchange the favor with cash game hu advice, which I think I am pretty qualified to give.

-Evan
Old 11-28-2006, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Im not doing as well at HU SNG\'s as I thought I would

There are very solid regulars at those stakes on Stars, and if you're not used to raised blinds...don't play the turbos. Cash game and sitngo settings are suprisingly very different (IMO), so if you want to compete with the regulars at those levels...you should probably be try beating the 220 and 570 games first...I only play 115's though...so maybe you don't want my advice.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:55 AM

I don't care who you are... you should respect maxv2's advice.

Unforutnately, there aren't any regular posters at those stakes... I do know that the game is TREMENDOUSLY different than the lower stakes matches from watching $5000's once in a while... but I think at higher blind levels the game would become more similar to the lower stakes.

I play 50-100's, and when I get to the 50/100 I try not to minraise... If I'm going to raise I still raise 3X. But I also limp when I would normally raise so that I can repop if my FOE tries raising me often. The way I look at it is if you minraise from the SB he can reraise forcing you to fold most of your raising hands... but if you limp you can certainly reraise with the hands you would normally fold. Sort of a reversal...

This is obviously opponent dependant. Most players at lower stakes tend to tighten up WAY too much at higher blinds... so raising often would be appropriate. I imagine at high stakes opponents don't play too tightly.

Something else to consider... is the SAGE method. There has been a recent discussion about it and it applies to SB/BB confrontations when one of the stacks is <10BBs (Level 4 HU) It is starting place when deciding to push/fold.

Lastly, I can't imagine your sample size is that large at those limits if you haven't been doing well... who would play 200 $5000 HU SNGs with a horrible winrate?! So some of the frustration you are experiencing is likely the short term.

Good luck... and you should post in the HU forum more often~

~rob
Old 11-28-2006, 06:21 AM

Evan - you're right, there's no-one here that I'm aware of that plays at these stakes. We can discuss the theory with you, and would be fascinated to review hand histories and give you food for thought, but we can't give you an idea of how to beat those games.

One question - why play SNGs when you can beat 100/200 cash? As I understand it, winrates in the 1000s+ are not much above break-even point, because the cards have such an impact in the SNG format. One of the main reasons for playing SNG rather than cash at the lower limits is that the rake is so much more destructive in low-limit cash games - that can't be a problem at your stakes.

One suggestion would be to play the new no blind increase structure at Stars - would give you more of a chance to make your edge in deepstack play tell.

As for shortstack play - my approach when I am shortstacked or when the blinds are high is to push with any Ace, any two cards T or higher and any pair, adding some more K-high hands and SC's in as I get more desperate. Always be the aggressor - especially if the blinds are high and you have a chip lead, however slight. Most won't be willing to call an all-in for the tournament without at least good, if not great, cards.

There are systems you can look to - ICM, Sklansky-Chubukov, Sage - but you need adapt these to how you tight/loose your opponent's calling range vs a jam might be.

As a final point - if you really would prefer to discuss with high-limit players, try the high-stakes NL forum.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so maybe you don't want my advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very happy to see you here maxv2. I hope to see more posts here from one of the best and most successful players at Stars.

slimbob
Old 11-28-2006, 11:35 PM

Penguin/Rob,

I just thought I would give the SNG's a try. My main site (pokerroom) stopped accepting Americans so Ive been looking around. I opened an account on AmericasCardRoom (an ongame skin that still takes americans), but its been locked for a while now and dealing with their support is a real pain.

Looking at some of the stats on sharkscope it appears that even the best players dont have a huge edge in these. I havent seen an average profit of much more than 100 bucks or so for anyone with a significant sample size. Also, I wouldnt say I have a horrible winrate. Im up a nominal amount of money since I started these, but I dont really feel in control. My sharkscope stats, for anyone who cared to look, are somewhat misleading. I use the $5 hu sngs as a stress reliever when things arent going well in cash games.

I dont think it would be a great benefit to the forum is I started posting hands form hu sngs, because Im not sure the decisions are all that interesting or complex. Furthermore, Im not even sure the plays Im making are correct. I will make an effort to post some cash games hands here every week, though, if people are interested.

Where can I read more about this sage system, as well as the others?

-Evan
Old 11-29-2006, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I use the $5 hu sngs as a stress reliever when things arent going well in cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

hilarious... excellent plan

We'd love cash game hands. I'm trying to get into cash a little bit... much lower stakes (200NL) I'd be really interested to see your interesting hands. I think everyone would.

SAGE: http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/15250
Sklansky-Chubukov: Just search the poker theory forum

Also, sorry if I implied you had a horrible win rate... didn't intend to.

Lastly, welcome to the forum. We are probably the most community oriented forum on 2+2. There's only about 2 dozen regular posters, so there's pleanty of room for more.

~rob
Old 11-29-2006, 07:26 PM

I tried to Sharkscope you, but your blocked. Also, I'd love to see some hands from your 5k sngs.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play 50-100's

[/ QUOTE ]

don't be stupid

~rob

PS an old picture of my sharkscope can be found on nichomacheo.blogspot.com it very accurately reflects the days of yore when tilt ruled my life. Enjoy.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:00 AM

also there is software by eastbay for calculating push ranges against opponents with given calling ranges, its primarily for 10 man sngs but it should work fine for heads up sng's, this is probably one of the quickest ways to get good at playing short stacked.

Check on the sit n go forum for a link, I'm sure its stickied