Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 08:02 PM

Default the family dog got put down today.

She was nearly eight years old. I remember going with my dad to the airport to pick her up on Thanksgiving weekend when I was home from college. I'm at my parents' place a lot, so me and this dog were pretty close.

She has been having pretty bad seizures for about the last five years. She's been on a lot of heavy medication to try to help control the seizures, but for the past two weeks or so she's just been wandering around the yard disoriented, bumping into things and stepping in her water dish.

My dad took her to the vet last week to have some tests done. Meanwhile, this morning, she couldn't keep her balance well enough to walk, was trying to crawl around on her belly pushing with her hind legs, and wore her toenails down to the bone, streaking blood all over the patio. My dad took her back to the vet, and got the results of the tests from last week--most likely a large brain tumor. That spelled the end for her.

Its sad to have her gone, but she hadn't been well for a long time. Still affectionate to the end. I post this tonight in tribute. I know she wasn't a family member like a person is, but as any pet-lovers out there know, people can form quite a bond with their pets. And I'm sad.

Elfi
9/30/99 - 7/9/07
Old 07-09-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: the family dog got put down today.

What a cutie. Sorry for your loss , I buried my dog a few months ago.

Was she a Weimeraner? Looks like it. Either that or at least part Weimeraner.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:04 PM

yeah, a weim
Old 07-09-2007, 08:05 PM

Wow, she was pretty. Sorry to hear about this.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:07 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

our family dog turned 14 in May, thankfully she's still in great health
Old 07-09-2007, 08:09 PM

My parents had a weimaraner named Blue when I was born, and also some random black mutt named Bosco. Clever names.

Apparently, Bosco attacked me, and Blue killed him. They got rid of him because they couldn't be sure that he wouldn't go ape [censored] against me later on out of jealousy or whatever, but I kinda wish they'd kept him. It's neat to know that a dog killed something to protect you.

I never want a pet, but if I had to have a dog it'd be a weimaraner.

Sorry about the loss of your friend.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:12 PM

Condolences Stranger. RIP Elfi.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, she was pretty. Sorry to hear about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have better pics, just can't find them right now.

This is the first time I've said goodbye to a pet this way. When I was very young, my parents gave away two dogs. One because it would snap at my baby brother (good dog, just not good around young children), and another one who was always full of fleas no matter what my parents did to try to get rid of them. Back then I was just told that both ran away.

I guess I'm lucky. Both my parents, all four of my grandparents, and one great-grandparent are still living. I know people who have died but wasn't super close with them. So I'm not used to the whole death thing.

Although there's been a lot lately, one gal in OOT who put her horse down, that NVG where the guy disappeared and ended up dead, the whole Benoit thing.

And this guy in a 12-step meeting I was at had a seizure during the meeting on Thursday, had a heart attack shortly after and died Friday night. I didn't really know him or anything but still sad.

I guess death is part of life.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM

What a pretty dog.

Sorry about your loss.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Apparently, Bosco attacked me, and Blue killed him. They got rid of him because they couldn't be sure that he wouldn't go ape [censored] against me later on out of jealousy or whatever, but I kinda wish they'd kept him. It's neat to know that a dog killed something to protect you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The family had two weims. The male is a year older and healthy as can be. I've never seen either of them get aggressive, other than play fighting. In fact the male got half his ear ripped off trying to play with the German Sheperds who had just moved in next door. He never even realized he was attacked or injured.

I've never heard of a weim killing anything other than rabbits and stuff, but I have seen them get very protective of small children. Interesting story.