Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Having the worst period since I started playing, some support please

I've played for about 13 months, and even though my winrate hasn't been fantastic I've consistently been winning. I played my first year almost only at Prima, starting out at 10NL and making my way up to 50NL and almost 5k hands @ 100NL. Then they capped the rakeback and I switched to Crypto, starting out at $100NL and £50NL.

I've played here for about a month now, and this month has been such a pain. I've played 93 hours, a little above 23k hands, and I have won close to nothing. I know I played bad in the beginning, a bit too aggressive when I wasn't able to handle such a playing style. It also have a feeling I took beat after beat and there was no way I could win, flopping sets against flopped straights etc etc. I'm pretty confident I should be able to beat this level and these opponents. The thing is, I'm not winning. I feel like it's bad luck mostly, but I'm starting to wonder.

The last four days I've dropped 10 buyins, and I'm really wondering whether I'm able to beat this level or not. I will try my hand at it again tomorrow, or possibly in a couple of days, but right now I'm not feeling overly confident.

I know I'm not a great player, but at least I've put in quite some effort, reading a few books, reading and posting a bit here on 2+2 and generally thought about the game, I also consider myself to be fairly intelligent. I've even been trying to workout somewhat regularly, eat decent food, and sleep somewhat normal hours just to be able to handle poker in a better way. I know I'm not the best when it comes to handling losses in poker, but I'm actually quite happy with how I've handled the last few days. I've played a bit more than usual, which could have made me play worse than I usually do.

If someone knows of any good readings about control, variance, tilt control etc it would be great. Also, it would be great if someone could just briefly comment on situations I encounter that I'm unsure about during my play, because there's been a lot of those lately. I really understand if no one wants to, but if there's any interest I'd greatly appreciate it, and I'd return the favor whenever you want.

And is there some way to see how how often I hit the flop with certain hands, because I feel like I hit like 10% or something during the last session. What about other way to measure "bad luck"?

That's all I can think of now, words of encouragement are welcome. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Having the worst period since I started playing, some support please

You might want to take a break for a few days, or move down limits and build your confidence back up. Poker is gambling, there are going to be downswings.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Having the worst period since I started playing, some support please

i'd recomend take a day off and play a different game or something.

i just went through something similar where i ran disgustingly gross.

just look at your play, and figure out if you think that you're a winner in the game. if so, stick it out, and eventually the cards will work themselves out. make sure that you're in the right state of mind when you play though.

if you're not confident that you're a winner, then move down or change games/site.

jeff
Old 03-12-2007, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Having the worst period since I started playing, some support plea

[ QUOTE ]
[Then they capped the rakeback and I switched to Crypto,

[/ QUOTE ]

There is your problem mate. Crypto is known as the Shark-Tank these days. This is because strong players up top have dropped down a few levels due to lack of fish, but also that experienced bonus whores from elsewhere have all swam into crypto thinking their bonus structure is a bargain. It seems like an ok RB deal and reload to many at first, until you factor in how rough and tuff it will be to get ahead there. Things aren't like the old days anymore.

You don't have to take my word for it, but I suggest going to a non bonus-whoring site. It may seem like you are getting less ROI, until you realize you got many LIVE ones at the table again.

I understand many find this hard to do. It hurts their pride and they feel that they will just stick it out and things will improve. I'm not saying you are a BAD PLAYER, it's just that when you're on a site with very hard competition, even if you are slightly better than them the rake will most likely be the only winner in the end.

God knows I went through my own mass downswings, and I've done my own bitching about it around here too in the past.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:38 AM

Yooooo

battle through it homey. i've seen some of your posts in small stakes and can tell you're approaching the game in an honest and straightforward way, trying to become the best player you can be. what more can you do?

when going through a downswing, it's hard to find the difference between bad luck and bad play, but it is what you need to keep looking for. since you can do nothing about bad luck, it is actually insane to worry about it, or to let it get you off your game.

now that you're going through a big downswing, you see another aspect to the game, you see that you can be in a bunch of crappy situations you can't do much about, and have them happen in a row. now take that insight you've gained, and move on.

there are lots of things you can control even though right now it seems like things are out of control.

one thing to remember is that your style is flexible. you don't have to raise every normal (for you) raising hand when you sit down at a table. there's no time limit. you can sit down and fold a lot just watching other players to get really nice reads while you wait for the nuts. then maybe start working some more hands in and see how people react. are they aware of your image. do they change their game now that you're raising more hands. if you can see these more subtle dynamics then you have an advantage over people that aren't paying attention. maybe you're at a table where it's good to play super tight because they aren't paying attention and will pay you off with a pfraise% of 8 or whatever. or maybe the blinds are supertight and you can steal a lot.

try to find things that are going on that other people aren't aware of. look at the patterns of how people bet. are they on autopilot playing eight tables? if so then maybe they're c-betting a lot of hands they'd fold to a flop raise, or maybe you could float the flop w/ air and bet when they give up on the turn. get creative. when you start to think of how you can win the pot while still playing good fundamentals then you start to create your own luck, but really you're just playing good poker.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:40 AM

http://cardplayer.com/magazine/article/16573

I think that I read this a couple weeks ago.
Might help.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yooooo

battle through it homey. i've seen some of your posts in small stakes and can tell you're approaching the game in an honest and straightforward way, trying to become the best player you can be. what more can you do?

when going through a downswing, it's hard to find the difference between bad luck and bad play, but it is what you need to keep looking for. since you can do nothing about bad luck, it is actually insane to worry about it, or to let it get you off your game.

now that you're going through a big downswing, you see another aspect to the game, you see that you can be in a bunch of crappy situations you can't do much about, and have them happen in a row. now take that insight you've gained, and move on.

there are lots of things you can control even though right now it seems like things are out of control.

one thing to remember is that your style is flexible. you don't have to raise every normal (for you) raising hand when you sit down at a table. there's no time limit. you can sit down and fold a lot just watching other players to get really nice reads while you wait for the nuts. then maybe start working some more hands in and see how people react. are they aware of your image. do they change their game now that you're raising more hands. if you can see these more subtle dynamics then you have an advantage over people that aren't paying attention. maybe you're at a table where it's good to play super tight because they aren't paying attention and will pay you off with a pfraise% of 8 or whatever. or maybe the blinds are supertight and you can steal a lot.

try to find things that are going on that other people aren't aware of. look at the patterns of how people bet. are they on autopilot playing eight tables? if so then maybe they're c-betting a lot of hands they'd fold to a flop raise, or maybe you could float the flop w/ air and bet when they give up on the turn. get creative. when you start to think of how you can win the pot while still playing good fundamentals then you start to create your own luck, but really you're just playing good poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best post i've ever read that started out with "Yoooo" and "...homey"
Props to J.Strew
Old 03-12-2007, 02:41 PM

Will it comfort you to know that you can run a lot worse than breaking even for 23K? Probably not, so I'll shut up now.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:53 PM

I dropped 16 buy-ins at 1/2 NL (-3.2K) between Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. By Sunday afternoon I felt like I had just finished a crack binge (guilty, ashamed, and desperate).

Solution: I took 2 Vicodin (to come down and even out) and fired up the tables. It helped my play tremendously. I actually managed to finish slightly up for the weekend on the basis of Sunday nights success (and success on Saturday before the tilt started).

Lucky
Old 03-12-2007, 03:24 PM

Thanks y'all for your support.

I think I'm gonna take a ~3 day break and concentrate on school work, maybe install some fun computer game to kill some time with, and watch some movies. I'm just gonna clear a bonus on crypto, about 300 MPPs left, and then I'm cashing out from there. I think I'll try Full Tilt next. How's the competition there?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[Then they capped the rakeback and I switched to Crypto,

[/ QUOTE ]

There is your problem mate. Crypto is known as the Shark-Tank these days. This is because strong players up top have dropped down a few levels due to lack of fish, but also that experienced bonus whores from elsewhere have all swam into crypto thinking their bonus structure is a bargain. It seems like an ok RB deal and reload to many at first, until you factor in how rough and tuff it will be to get ahead there. Things aren't like the old days anymore.

You don't have to take my word for it, but I suggest going to a non bonus-whoring site. It may seem like you are getting less ROI, until you realize you got many LIVE ones at the table again.

I understand many find this hard to do. It hurts their pride and they feel that they will just stick it out and things will improve. I'm not saying you are a BAD PLAYER, it's just that when you're on a site with very hard competition, even if you are slightly better than them the rake will most likely be the only winner in the end.

God knows I went through my own mass downswings, and I've done my own bitching about it around here too in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was one of the first things that stroke me when I started playing at crypto... the competition was tougher. I came from Prima and believed this was one of the tighter sites, at least that's what everyone keeps telling me, but it's nothing compared to crypto.

Thanks for your kind words J. Stew. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And as you say it's really difficult to see the difference between bad luck and bad play. Like this one hand, I had AJs, flop was Axx, then on a 4 turn villain raised me for the third time in a short while, all money went in, and the dude had A4. I almost laughed as I dropped my last couple of buyins, it felt soooo ridiculous.

Thx for the article mordecaibrown, nice read.

[ QUOTE ]
Will it comfort you to know that you can run a lot worse than breaking even for 23K? Probably not, so I'll shut up now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hehe, yeah I know it could've been worse, and that is actually a bit comforting. At least I didn't put my entire roll on the table and lost it like Matt Damon lol. Hmm... perhaps I should watch Rounders for some insperation. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
lol, anyone else think OP was talking about bleeding out of vagina?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, that certainly wasn't the meaning [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

I dropped 16 buy-ins at 1/2 NL (-3.2K) between Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. By Sunday afternoon I felt like I had just finished a crack binge (guilty, ashamed, and desperate).

Solution: I took 2 Vicodin (to come down and even out) and fired up the tables. It helped my play tremendously. I actually managed to finish slightly up for the weekend on the basis of Sunday nights success (and success on Saturday before the tilt started).

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]
Ouch, that's a tough downswing. Glad you managed to win some of it back. Haven't got any of those miracle pills here in Sweden unfortunately, perhaps I should import some, hehe. Sounds a bit dangerous though (from wikipedia): "Vicodin is particularly addictive both physical and psychologically. Addiction to Vicodin is similar to other powerful addictions; cravings for the drug take hold of a person and may even supersede a person's need for food or water."

Lol, ended up writing a long ass reply. Well, it's probably good for my confidence etc etc [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]