Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Sunglasses make me so damn sleepy...

Does anyone else have this problem? I think that wearing sunglasses at the poker table gives me an advantage... not really because it conceals my eyes but because it makes it much easier to really study other players (esp. when you're not in a hand) without making it awkward or making them aware that they're being studied. There are enough 'casual' players at 5/10 NL to make it worthwhile to really try to pick up on body language tells.

The problem I have is that when I wear sunglasses indoors for so long, and everything is so dark I get really sleepy. This is like the stupidest thing ever, but it's annoying as hell, and I drink so much coffee I'm practically immune to caffeine now...

There's really no point to this post, I'm just complaining.

FYI I play like 5/10 NL and these are the sunglasses that I wear:

Old 07-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Sunglasses make me so damn sleepy...

brighter lens? reflexive lens(the outside)? see an oftalmologist? probably he knows what's happening.

BINGO!1
Old 07-13-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that wearing sunglasses at the poker table gives me an advantage

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL.

[ QUOTE ]
not really because it conceals my eyes but because it makes it much easier to really study other players (esp. when you're not in a hand) without making it awkward or making them aware that they're being studied.

[/ QUOTE ]

That I can't LOL at because its a very good excuse for sun glasses in the poker room. At the WSOP expo there was a booth selling a new type of sunglass that was tinted in only the incoming direction, the polarization allowed you to see through the glasses almost as if it was normal light. I didnt like the design, but i did consider buying them. Perhaps you can find them on Amazon? I dont recall the brand name.

PS: Nothin personal, i always laugh at guys with sunglasses. Even if they use them effectively like it seems you would i still laugh.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS: Nothin personal, i always laugh at guys with sunglasses. Even if they use them effectively like it seems you would i still laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on this TT. At least the OP has a somewhat reasonable outlook on the whole sunglasses thing. Most people I ask in cardrooms wear them because they think someone is going to read them. Are these people really stupid enough to think that anyone playing in a 1-2 $100 NL game is going to have the knowledge to not only read someones eyes, but then to understand what they are reading and relate it to poker?
Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 PM

I used to wear shades sometimes when I played, but I also used to wear them at night and stuff. But yeah, they make me sleepy. I don't wear them anymore because, besides looking silly (which I really don't care about), I find I can see more without them on. And I think what I see is more important than what my opponents see, because I'm better at reading them than they are at reading me. I don't mind making uncomfortable eye contact, because it makes them more uncomfortable than it makes me. I also like talking a lot during hands and being very friendly with people, and the sunglasses can kind of inhibit that. But yeah, they make me sleepy.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
brighter lens? reflexive lens(the outside)? see an oftalmologist? probably he knows what's happening.

BINGO!1

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Ophthalmologist, maybe? But seriously, try those ones that fade from lighter to darker. You can still see your cards, but others can't see your eyes.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:43 AM

Old 07-14-2007, 02:22 PM

^^^ lol that one always gets me for some reason...

I think they look silly too, but I don't really care what I look like. If they help me even a little bit, then I'll wear them. Plus, in the rooms that I play in 5/10 NL is often the biggest or second biggest game, so at least I'm not wearing shades while flipping for nickels and dimes...

I think I'm gonna get some of those humongous old man cataract sunglasses just for the hell of it:

Old 07-14-2007, 02:41 PM

If I'm NOT wearing sunglasses at the table it's more of a fashion-statement for me.
I'm purposefully not wearing them because I don't want to like a dick/WPT-wannabe.
This kept me from wearing them more often than not even when I kind of wanted to put some on.

Now, I don't care as much. I wear them sometimes and other times I don't.

My eyes are really damn sensitive and I blink an insane amount.

The flourescent lights in some rooms and even at some specific tables drive me nuts. Especially after a couple of hours.
This is exaggerated in a poker-room like the Horseshoe-Tunica which is supposedly smoke-free but you are practically walking into a wall of smoke everywhere you go in there so it's impossible for the little poker section in the corner to not have any smoke.

I like to look at players when they probably don't know (at least aren't sure) that I'm looking at them.

And when my eyes are going wacky not only do I probably look more ridiculous without the shades with all my blinking and squinting and redness but I'm also somewhat concerned that my blinking/twitchyness is also giving tells.

The glasses that TT saw at the Expo sound pretty interesting. Might look into something like that.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:52 PM

LOL at you guys caring what other people think