Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Does poker consume your life?

I usually have to logicaly think about how much money I make and how easy poker is to get myslef to play now. It is not very high up on the list of things I want to do in my life.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:42 AM

I am a low mid stakes grinder who makes in the neighborhood of 45k a year. However, I am in school getting my degree. Poker does consume my life but, I feel that it is benefiting me so much more than not and I make 1/10 what you make. My day looks a lot like yours only I have a lot of GF time packed in their. I probably play in the neighborhood of 20 hours a week. You have to look at poker objectively and as a gift. I look at many of my friends who work 30-40 hour weeks and are full time students and make a week what I make on a given night. Plus they have student loans out the ass. Their lives are a grind. We grind for fun.

You have so much more money than 99.99999999% of people at your age. This means you can do 99.9999999% more than most your age. You can go on any vacation you want. You can buy a very nice home and buy cars like its nothing. If you quit poker today and invested all of your money, when you retire at 65ish you will have an obscene amount.

I think the key is to enjoy the life you have and look at what you have done for yourself. You have so many more options than almost anyone at your age. So basically what Im saying is poker consuming your life is not a bad thing unless you think it is. If you think its a bad thing...quit and take a tour of the world; then buy a house. Like any job poker requires sacrifice. Giving up a weekend of binge drinking in order to better yourself financially cant be a bad thing can it?

Enjoy yourself, enjoy your money and if you are no longer enjoying poker...stop and buy [censored].
Old 11-08-2006, 02:49 AM

and another thing... dont stress over this. almost no one knows what to do with their life at 19 .
Old 11-08-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and another thing... dont stress over this. almost no one knows what to do with their life at 19 .

[/ QUOTE ]
I knew I wanted to be rich [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2006, 03:06 AM

Yea, lately my social life has been cutting into my poker life. I'm trying to win a seat to the [censored] PCA and people keep asking me to do stuff on Saturdays. I always pick girls over 650 Satellites, but I'm going to have to talk Stars into changing the date and time on those Sats... it [censored] blows, seriously.

Anyways, just take time off. I don't find it that hard. I go through weird cycles, I'll go two weeks with wanted to play 5k hands a day, and two weeks with no motivation just playing some donkaments or something else pedestrian. Bleh, I hate the getting behind in school stuff, but I don't hvae anything too hard so I just get in good with my professors and skip class when I'm unprepared.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:32 AM

i play like 2 hours a day on average.. if that.. i wish i could motivate myself to play more its such easy money im just really lazy and dont really need the money. i think thats the trouble. if i needed it id play a lot more. i end up playing for like 30 mins, get up 10kish, then just quit, and do nothing for the rest of the day.

i gotta stop spending so much on useless stuff i dont need and for 'entertainment' purposes. actually, i guess it doesnt even really matter. i really need to learn how to motivate myself.. poker is so boring, how do u guys keep at it so much!!??? i used to be able to play 12 hours a day every day of the week no sweat. now i get bored after 20 minutes. rawr. need to take a vacation. holla
Old 11-08-2006, 03:33 AM

iDONKEDyou I understand a lot of what you're going through, those are some very common themes which parts of or all of apply to most people here. It's a tough fight to find the solution and happy balance to it.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i play like 2 hours a day on average. i wish i could motivate myself to play more its such easy money im just really lazy and dont really need the money. i think thats the trouble. if i needed it id play a lot more. i gotta stop spending so much on useless stuff i dont need and for 'entertainment' purposes. poker is so boring, how do u guys keep at it so much!!??? rawr. take a vacation. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this describes 80% of us perfectly
Old 11-08-2006, 03:44 AM

i'm sitting here blacked out drunk wondering if i wrote this

seriously OP, i do everything you're talking about. it sucks. i was a smart dude, probably headed to law school with a high GPA and then i got greedy.

yea i'm the richest self made kid i know but i'm graduating soon and i have no job or life plan.

would i do it all again if i had the chance? i honestly am not even sure...
Old 11-08-2006, 04:24 AM

19 year old with a quarter million clicking a mouse?

my heart BLEEDS FOR YOU