Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 09:34 AM

Default Limit vs NL

Currently I am a somewhat experienced limit player playing 5/10 SH and making ~4k a month. I have been considering make the switch to NL- how much more profitable is it? How much harder is it? How long will I have to study it until I can match my current profit? I know this question has probably been asked 1000's of times but please humor me.

Thanks,
~Oracle
Old 08-10-2006, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Limit vs NL

Rakeback at limit is much better, though. But if you study NL, you'll pick it up fairly quickly.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:45 AM

Are there more fish? How much can a solid player make playing say 400$ NL?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there more fish? How much can a solid player make playing say 400$ NL?

[/ QUOTE ]
At $400 6 max, if you crush the games you can potentially make something like 8 PTBB/100 (that's 16 big blinds, it works on the Limit BB basis). I have no idea how true this is long term, I always suspect people who claim their numbers are that high. I'm pretty sure I'd average ~6ptbb/100 at this limit, I'm some way above that over 40k hands, but who knows if it's a good run or not over such a small sample?

That would require an ~$8k bankroll, and preferably a bit more, so it's larger than what you'd need for 5/10 limit - a similiar size game would be more like the $200 NL 6 max games.

Assuming you're beating 5/10 limit for 2ptbb/100, that's 400 big bet wins in a month, so 20k hands. If you play 20k hands of $200 NL 6 max at 6ptbb/100, that's $24 per hundred instead of $20, so you'd be making 20% more, for a bit under $5k per month. The difference is likely just because $200 NL is a little bigger than $5/$10 limit in terms of bankroll requirements, but probably smaller in terms of variance.

Now, I'm no demon player, but it's not that easy to get to 6ptbb/100, at least, it wasn't for me. I'm sure you have a good understanding of the game, but it'll take you a while still. What really counts in playing ~6 tables of 6 max is a lot of NL experience so you don't have to think very often.

You'd probably have to start on less than 6 tables for a while, or you'll improve very, very slowly. This'll mean that your 20k hands are going to take twice as long.

I also really wouldn't want to jump straight in to $200 NL, but I'm pretty conservative, so if you have the money...

So, if you're bored with limit and want a larger game pool, NL is a good plan. It's not likely to be making you much more money though, but it'll be a nice change.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rake at limit is much higher, though. But if you study NL, you'll pick it up fairly quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you get 25% off of a 5000$ a month poker fee doesn't mean you're paying less to play.