Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 06:31 PM

Default What PSP accesories and games? Is it even any good?

I was a bit gutted when they put GT4 back so I think I will withhold on the XBox360 for a little bit.

Anyway, im going to Mexico pretty shortly and feel like getting a PSP to alleviate the boredom of 2 x 10 hour flights so seeing i have shedload of points at PokerSavvy and will probably convert them to amazon vouchers I feel like getting one.

The PSP looks pretty good and I will probably get both GT games, but I am a bit lost to which accesories to buy and, to be honest, what it is even capable of. How do you use it as an MP3 player, for example? And wireless internet? Can you just d/l songs straight from your [censored] on it or is it a ballache like iPods etc? What is the capacity

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Re: What PSP accesories and games? Is it even any good?

MP3's can be loaded up pretty easily, via a standard USB cable or direct card load. Videos are a bit more difficult, as you have to re-encode them in a format the PSP can play. I wussed and paid $20 for the Media Manager software (useless except for encoding and it's balls slow on my dual core CPU). I put TV shows off my Beyond TV setup on the PSP for the kid for car trips.

The PSP uses Media Stick Duo Pro for memory - get whatever cards you need by capacity. It has no on-board integrated storage.

The wireless is good (except it's 802.11b) but the browser is a real PIA to navigate.

You can also get some feature length movies for it (we have Joe Dirt, Spiderman 2, and Pirates of the Caribbean), although they've stopped really supporting the UMD format for the most part for movies.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:05 AM

Personally, I'd go with a Nintendo DS. That thing is the beezknees. But if you get the PSP, get Lumines. God, I [censored] love Lumines.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:26 PM

I've had my PSP since launch and it is great for killing time on plane flights. I didn't get any accessories except for a 1 GB memory stick and the clear film protective covering for the screen. The games are fun. I mainly play GTA liberty city and Tiger Woods.