Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 10:27 PM

Default Artichokes Help

I love artichokes and have prepared them in various ways: boiled in a large pot of salted water, steamed, and grilled. I've also tried any number of accompanying sauces: homemade herbed mayonaise, citrusy sauces, various vinaigrettes, herbed butter sauces, lemon butter sauces, etc. I haven't hit on the perfect combination. Please share how you make and serve your artichokes.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Artichokes Help

I do the same as you - boil or steam. I usually boil for about 45 minutes, but you can also steam them in the microwave. I know, people think microwaves are anti-cooking, but actually, they are friendly if you know how to use them. Just remember that microwaves rely on water, so anything that gets cooked by steaming does great in the mic. Also, the more quickly you cook your food, the more nutrients remain in it. And microwaves are really easy to clean [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Some people stuff them - they put tasty stuffing between the leaves. To me that's just way too much trouble and mess. (I'm a tiny bit of a neat freak). In restaurants I've seen a variation of that - they cut the artichoke in half lengthwise and put stuffing where the heart is and placed the heart on top. That was yummy.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love artichokes and have prepared them in various ways: boiled in a large pot of salted water, steamed, and grilled. I've also tried any number of accompanying sauces: homemade herbed mayonaise, citrusy sauces, various vinaigrettes, herbed butter sauces, lemon butter sauces, etc. I haven't hit on the perfect combination. Please share how you make and serve your artichokes.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very old (perhaps as old as ancient Rome) and famous way of preparing artichokes is Carciofi alla Giudia -- Jewish-Style Artichokes. Essentially these are artichokes fried in oil. Any comprehensive Italian cookbook should have a recipe.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:09 AM

LittleOldLady,
Thank you! This is definitely something I'll look up and try.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:14 AM

Elaine,
Yeah, I'm one of those people who sort of view the micro as an anti-cooking device. I mostly use it just for a quick leftover warm up. My opinion of microwaves is probably not helped by the fact that my micro is old, ridiculously small, and probably truly is not good for much else.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:26 AM

The microwave really IS a fast way to steam stuff. Elaine started it, but here's some explicit instructions:<ul type="square">[*]Put your vegetable in a bowl that's taller than your veggie.[*]Sprinkle a little water into the bowl. You need some, but not much: &lt; 1cm on of the bottom of the bowl.[*]Cover tightly with plastic-wrap.[*]Microwave.[/list]The water steams and is trapped in the plastic-wrap. When you take the bowl out of the microwave, make sure to immediately remove the plastic (being careful of your fingers + steam). As long as the plastic is tight, the veggies are steaming inside.

When I steamed a single artichoke last weekend, I nuked it for 6 minutes. This seemed just right. If you're doing 2 artichokes, you'll need ~10 minutes.

I've used the microwave to steam artichokes, greenbeens, and corn. I don't think there are any other vegetables I like steamed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 06-01-2006, 12:28 PM

Trim and clean the artichokes, boil/steam until just tender - don't overcook. When cool enough to handle, cut into quarters. Saute with olive oil and a ton of chopped garlic, sprinkle some lemon juice on top, a little salt and done.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:36 PM

Posnera, I assume you are trimming your artichokes so they are entirely edible? I do this sometimes and add them to pastas or serve them on their own as a side.

With the various ways I've prepared the artichokes they turn out nice and tender. I guess I am more curious about what sauce accompaniment people serve when the artichoke is served whole as a course in itself. Suggestions?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We always used a mustard-based sauce. I don't have the recipe--my then-husband was the chef.