Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 PM

Default AP Scandal Front Page on MSNBC

I didn't see this posted here yet, but the AP scandal is the MSNBC top story. Complete with link to You Tube vid of the tournament in question.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21381022/

I guess we knew it was coming, we'll see how it plays out.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: AP Scandal Front Page on MSNBC

wow
Old 10-19-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see this posted here yet, but the AP scandal is the MSNBC top story. Complete with link to You Tube vid of the tournament in question.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21381022/

I guess we knew it was coming, we'll see how it plays out.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I don't think we or the PPA has much control over the story now, some decent talking points for the Hill visits for the fly-in next week might be useful.

D$D
Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 PM

Why is this in legislation forum?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:48 PM

Congress will either have more incentive to regulate or ban.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I doubt very seriously that this will have any impact on legislation.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. HAHAHAHAHA. DID you seriously just say that with a straight face?
Old 10-20-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't post the story link.

I suggested that this issue since it is news just days before the PPA will be meeting with legislators that we may as a group want to consider how to handle the issue if it comes up.

Considering that any legislator on our side might be looking towards future legislation that may shape the future for on-line poker in the future for the US and thus potentially shape the world on-line poker market giving a few minutes thought to how we might respond seems reasonable.

Any legislator looking for any reason to further "ban" or criminalize on-line poker is likely to use the news story to spin a reason to further their position.

In truth it seems from what I've read that this is a site security issue but given even the most reasonable fears people have of computers this episode only servers to re-enforce the most unreasonable fears.

Now anyone who have ever lost money on any poker site will wonder if they haven't been cheated. People in general and loosers in particular always look for someone else to blame for their troubles.

In politics often your biggest problems are with the most unreasonable people, the reasonable are willing to reach a reasonable compromise, the unreasonable just keep fighting.

A smart politican is at least prepared for the reasonable and attempts to show the unreasonable for exactly what they are to the rest of the people.

Politics is sometimes called the art of the compromise.

D$D
Old 10-20-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It's just another bullet for those to use for their position, but won't have any impact either way. You guys do realize that there are dozens and dozens of rigged poker sites. Most of them simply happen to be small ones that no one uses because they are obviously sketchy. If someone wanted to give an example of a site that cheated customers it wouldn't be that difficult. Do you think those in charge of legislation are going to know the difference between Absolute Poker, Pokerspot, Choice Poker or whatever number of poker sites have [censored] over their customers?

IMO this entire episode will have almost no effect on anything, and probably only positive effects as sites are held to a higher standard because of how badly this tarnishes Absolute's name.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't post the story link.

I suggested that this issue since it is news just days before the PPA will be meeting with legislators that we may as a group want to consider how to handle the issue if it comes up.

Considering that any legislator on our side might be looking towards future legislation that may shape the future for on-line poker in the future for the US and thus potentially shape the world on-line poker market giving a few minutes thought to how we might respond seems reasonable.

Any legislator looking for any reason to further "ban" or criminalize on-line poker is likely to use the news story to spin a reason to further their position.

In truth it seems from what I've read that this is a site security issue but given even the most reasonable fears people have of computers this episode only servers to re-enforce the most unreasonable fears.

Now anyone who have ever lost money on any poker site will wonder if they haven't been cheated. People in general and loosers in particular always look for someone else to blame for their troubles.

In politics often your biggest problems are with the most unreasonable people, the reasonable are willing to reach a reasonable compromise, the unreasonable just keep fighting.

A smart politican is at least prepared for the reasonable and attempts to show the unreasonable for exactly what they are to the rest of the people.

Politics is sometimes called the art of the compromise.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^
What he said. We've been talking about it, I thought people would want to know. Politics is seeing the attacks coming before they happen. We did that, and now we're going to see how it goes.