Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Taking a Shot, How would you do it?

50 an hour 6 tabling nl50 requires a winrate of like 7.75 ptbb

ive been at 8-12 the last 2 months
Old 08-27-2007, 06:35 PM

seems like it'd be much better to post this in SSNL than uNL dude.

I'm pretty sure 400 plays a lot different than 50. I can even tell a difference between 50 and 100. So I wouldn't jump up to to 400 and then drop to 200. It'd suck if you jumped to 400 when you were actually barely a winning player at 200. I'd move up to 100NL for like 2 weeks or 20k hands. If your winning, jump up to 200NL. If you beat that level it won't take you that long to reach 400NL. I'd also just keep a roll of 9k max. Rlly no need for 25k roll unless u wanna jump straight to 400NL.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:57 PM

Hey,

I really advise you to start at $200nl. The jump from $200 -> $400nl is huge. The jump from $100-$200nl is not. The only thing you will notice are these things:

much more PF aggression. 3bet pots like madness (starting at $200nl and will get much worse at $400nl) Also, you wont be able to take down pots as easy with a cbet. Ofcourse, the general play will be a bit better.

However, Ive read a lot of your posts over the past few months, and Im confident that you would be able to beat $200nl. Im not sure about $400nl though, since even for a LOT of SSNL grinders this jump is often too big. Take a look in the brew in SSNL, alot of player are already playing 3-4 months+ at 200nl before moving up to the midstakes.

Having said this, go and own $200nl! Will meet you there soon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2007, 08:37 PM

Starting at 400NL after grinding at 50NL for almost a year would be like jumping from a frozen lake into a hot tub. It is a terrible, terrible idea. The game plays absolutely nothing like 50NL, and you'll likely get eaten up by the aggression in the first few K hands then overadjust or adjust improperly and get owned some more.

200NL is a good starting point.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my roll is 25k---- was 30k but i just withdrew 5 for a new plasma tv and to help pay for a vacation to san diego---

The last 3 months I have been making $50+ an hour 6 tabling nl50

3 years ago when I wasn't very good, after my first big downswing at 1000nl and 600nl I cashed out 30k to buy a car and then with the remaining $ tried grinding out 400nl---- I had a 12k downswing ( 30 buy-ins) and i've probably logged less then 15k hands at 400nl since. during college I really didn't care about $ and risks as much--- now that I work hard for my $ I would never play a level I couldn't beat just to gamble it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn I had to check to see what forum i was in...for a sec I couldve sworn i was in BBV. Someone have a big E-penis or what??

[ QUOTE ]
the reason I don't play 100nl is b/c my winrate is not anywhere near half my winrate at 50nl--- its not that I can't beat 100nl, just not for as much, so why play harder games with more variance for less then what i'm already making

the reason i'm going to try and take a shot at 200nl or 400nl is I think at these limits I can have a better hourly rate then the one I currently have--- maybe as much as double

I just think I owe it to myself to see if I can beat 200nl and 400nl for a month or so--- just b/c I think i have the opportunity to make a lot more $ there, although I would never expect my winrates to be the same as nl50.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this makes absolutely no since...
Old 08-27-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my roll is 25k---- was 30k but i just withdrew 5 for a new plasma tv and to help pay for a vacation to san diego---

I have a really good job and I play poker for supplemental income.

the reason I don't play 100nl is b/c my winrate is not anywhere near half my winrate at 50nl--- its not that I can't beat 100nl, just not for as much, so why play harder games with more variance for less then what i'm already making

the reason i'm going to try and take a shot at 200nl or 400nl is I think at these limits I can have a better hourly rate then the one I currently have--- maybe as much as double

3 years ago when I wasn't very good, after my first big downswing at 1000nl and 600nl I cashed out 30k to buy a car and then with the remaining $ tried grinding out 400nl---- I had a 12k downswing ( 30 buy-ins) and i've probably logged less then 15k hands at 400nl since. during college I really didn't care about $ and risks as much--- now that I work hard for my $ I would never play a level I couldn't beat just to gamble it up.

I just think I owe it to myself to see if I can beat 200nl and 400nl for a month or so--- just b/c I think i have the opportunity to make a lot more $ there, although I would never expect my winrates to be the same as nl50.

[/ QUOTE ]lol this doesnt make n e sense to me. if ur winrate at 100nl is less then half ur 50nl winrate wont ur 200nl win rate be even lower??? thus making u no more money per hour at 200nl????

i cant imagine that if ur winrate at 100nl is lower that ull make more by jumping up ANOTHER limit. that seems ludacris to me.

sounds like the "there r too many bad people so i cant win" theory.

idk but i cant see why u wouldnt play 20 or 30k hands at 100nl then moving to 200nl and playin 20 or 30k hands there and then moving up again. (assuming u want to and are having success and all obv.)

jumping straight from 50nl to 400nl is 100% rediculous to me. almost laughable. the games would b as different as me speaking in english and japanese.

idk tho. just seems to me that if u really want to give urself the best chance to succeed at the higher levels the best choice is to slowly immerse urself in them. not just hopping right in
Old 08-28-2007, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]lol this doesnt make n e sense to me. if ur winrate at 100nl is less then half ur 50nl winrate wont ur 200nl win rate be even lower??? thus making u no more money per hour at 200nl????

i cant imagine that if ur winrate at 100nl is lower that ull make more by jumping up ANOTHER limit. that seems ludacris to me.

idk but i cant see why u wouldnt play 20 or 30k hands at 100nl then moving to 200nl and playin 20 or 30k hands there and then moving up again. (assuming u want to and are having success and all obv.)

jumping straight from 50nl to 400nl is 100% rediculous to me. almost laughable. the games would b as different as me speaking in english and japanese.

idk tho. just seems to me that if u really want to give urself the best chance to succeed at the higher levels the best choice is to slowly immerse urself in them. not just hopping right in

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive logged probably 300k hands above 200nl--- mostly at 400nl and 600nl, some 1000nl and a very sparse visit to 2000nl---- but it's been awhile, im sure the games are much different--- they are for sure different at 50 nl post UIGEA---- but my point is I have some experience higher up.

anyways---- It's not like im not beating 100nl--- im just beating it for like 3-4 ptbb---- which is decent---- but if I can do 8-10 ptbb at 50nl with a lot less risk there is no sense in playing 100nl----- however if I can beat 200nl for say 3.5 ptbb then that will be beating my 50nl rate pretty badly---- hence the reason for the move.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive logged probably 300k hands above 200nl--- mostly at 400nl and 600nl, some 1000nl and a very sparse visit to 2000nl---- but it's been awhile, im sure the games are much different--- they are for sure different at 50 nl post UIGEA---- but my point is I have some experience higher up.

anyways---- It's not like im not beating 100nl--- im just beating it for like 3-4 ptbb---- which is decent---- but if I can do 8-10 ptbb at 50nl with a lot less risk there is no sense in playing 100nl----- however if I can beat 200nl for say 3.5 ptbb then that will be beating my 50nl rate pretty badly---- hence the reason for the move.

[/ QUOTE ]yea i understand that idea. tha thing i am confused with is if u beat 100nl for 3-4 bb/100 then wont ur 200nl be below that??? thus makin it reasonably similar in ur hourly but only the money matters a ton more, and since ur bb/100 is so much lower u will b all over the charts when it comes to varience. (something ur obv not used to since ur killin 50nl. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

idk. i still think it is worth a couple weeks at 100nl and then go from their. if n e thing it will at least give u a better shot at having success at 200nl imo
Old 08-28-2007, 08:39 AM

i guess dex is saying the drop-off won't be that great between 100 and 200.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:55 AM

taking shots isnt a big deal obv from your situation u should have taken shots sooner but you should never view it as an astronomical leap if u want to skip a few levels i recomend you get some coaching, the coaching directory is stickeyed in the MSNL forum. just dont veiw moving up as a quantim leap type of thing. for example lets say u have a day where u made 1k @ 200nl then take a 1 buy in shot a 400 just take shots when u feel u are playing well but if u feel uncomfortable when your playing 200nl or 400nl i guaruntee u will lose until you fix that. sounds like you have an enormous amount of patience and motivation for grinding which is a rare trait in a poker player and a trait that exists in the most sucessful players. If you dont want to move up to 200nl or 400nl than atleast start playing some 100nl because the difference in the levels of play is not big enough to effect your winrate as much as you says it does so i suspect u werent running too well when u were playing it. GL