Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Party Poker Pop-up

[ QUOTE ]
... Legislation that impacts millions online poker players in the United States like me deserves more debate than a back-room deal...

[/ QUOTE ]

The typo is Party's, not the OP's. I noticed it on my popup. That's kind of depressing.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:14 PM

Also remember that party has a HUGE stake in this. We're talking $4M a DAY. If they put even a WEEKS worth of money into fighting this, they are outspending the "enforcement" side 14 to 1, and the $2M for enforcement is over the next four YEARS.

Sure Frist and Co may want to throw some money around to cater to their voters. But do we really want this to be another "war on drugs" in which we spend a ton of money for ineffective enforcement of questionable laws?
Old 10-10-2006, 02:18 PM

*Cross-posted from another thread*

Seeing as this is a relatively simple thing for Party to do, one has to wonder why they DIDN'T do this months ago?
Old 10-10-2006, 02:46 PM

Well they did in the past have a link to the PPA sign-ups. They knew like everybody else that this bill wasn't going anywhere. To say that they should have seen an end-around bill stuffing coming is a little unfair. I think that everybody agrees that this was a cheap political move, and is contrary to the foundation of what is supposed to be the way our country works.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:28 PM

Sorry, but if I was running party I probably would have done the same thing. The general consensus around here was to ignore the problem hoping it went away. It almost did. Dredging up awareness of the bill would only help insure that it saw the senate floor, and if that happened, there was little chance it would not pass. I'm as pissed as the rest of you that it went down like this, but given the choice of not drawing attention to the bill, or trying to fight it while at the same time increasing the probability that it will actually make it to the floor, I'd have chosen the former.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well they did in the past have a link to the PPA sign-ups.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a page that popped up during the cashout process IIRC. The average player never cashes out from Party, they just lose.

[ QUOTE ]
They knew like everybody else that this bill wasn't going anywhere. To say that they should have seen an end-around bill stuffing coming is a little unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dig hole in sand. Insert head. Party apparently made some behind-the-scenes moves a la Jack Abramoff to combat anti-gaming legislation, but did little publicly. And now they are paying the price. Party is certainly not the only "party" at fault here, but they certainly could have taken a more public stance.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:06 PM

Along the lines of THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE SOONER, since this abortion of a bill passed I have made a point of asking the other players at the $10,$20 and $30 SNG's I have been playing on Party something like "How are all you Americans enjoying your last week of playing online poker?". On average there have been 7 out of 9 Americans. Almost every time I get about 3 or 4 "What are you talking about?" type answers. And I would have to assume that some of the other people not responding don't know either. WHY THE HELL DIDN'T PARTY ATTEMPT TO MOBILIZE THESE PEOPLE SOONER????
Old 10-10-2006, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Along the lines of THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE SOONER, since this abortion of a bill passed I have made a point of asking the other players at the $10,$20 and $30 SNG's I have been playing on Party something like "How are all you Americans enjoying your last week of playing online poker?". On average there have been 7 out of 9 Americans. Almost every time I get about 3 or 4 "What are you talking about?" type answers. And I would have to assume that some of the other people not responding don't know either. WHY THE HELL DIDN'T PARTY ATTEMPT TO MOBILIZE THESE PEOPLE SOONER????

[/ QUOTE ]

Your assumption would be correct. The issue came up at the Borgata this weekend, and a good number of players who said that they played regularly online claimed that they were totally unaware of the issue.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:38 PM

Yep, pretty much every table I bring the subject up at, most if not all of the people are clueless as to what's going on, American or not.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WHY THE HELL DIDN'T PARTY ATTEMPT TO MOBILIZE THESE PEOPLE SOONER????

[/ QUOTE ]

They are a publicly traded company about to face an immediate 60% decline in revenue. They want people playing on their site as long as possible.

It's smart business on an issue they could not have prevented based on the 409-2 vote on the House floor. The bill was a done deal back in July.

Getting a "carve-out" is the current issue and mobilizing the masses immediately before people's playing is cut off will probably spur more people to action and focus the attention of the consumer's backlash. If 70,000 emails are sent in one day it will go more noticed than if 70,000 emails were sent in 90 days.

Think of it as an online March on Washington.