Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Strategy for a winner take all satellite

I have been playing poker for a couple of years and have done well based on a mainly conservative strategy. Mostly played 10 seat SnG's with some success against over aggressive donks, and it is not uncommon to be one of the last five at the table without having contested a pot yet.
I am comfortable in this situation, but find myself faced with a challenge.
I have been lucky enough to have qualified for an on-line satelite with one seat to an EPT event. There will be 20 other players (two full tables) and my opponents are likely to be good players.
So 20 players of a good standard of play, 1 prize.
My question is regarding strategy, what changes should i incorporate into my game in order to give myself the best chance to WIN this tournament (nothing for 2nd place). I feel I have got to be v. agressive and get lucky to give myself a chance of winning but other than that am a bit unsure of starting requirements, and what stuations to push etc. Any advice from others with experience of this sort of structure would be greatly appreciated. I will post my results here after the game has finished.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Strategy for a winner take all satellite

Push any edge. Don't even think about passing up small edges. Still, you don't have to lead from wire to wire. There's nothing that says you can't hang around and catch a few cards when the blinds get high to take it down.

Really, it shouldn't change your strategy much. I don't necessarily think you have to get crazy aggressive out of the gate to give yourself the best chance to win. You'll be much more aggressive when it gets towards the end of the tournament because 2nd isn't any better than 4th, but don't be afraid to play your regular game in the early stages. IMO this should effect very few of your decisions at that point unless you're in the Phil Hellmuth school of turning down 60/40's or something silly like that. Don't take it to the other extreme and be willing to get it in there bad because you feel like you need to get all the chips on the 1st hand.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:46 PM

I'd open up and play aggressively, as I'm sure most people here would. The only thing I'd add is that when I'm playing LAG I find it helpful to hang around and just get a feel for the other players for 10 or 20 hands or so before I start making moves. That doesn't mean I'm going to pass up good cards, it just means I'm not going to try to outmaneuver people with tricky hands until I know what I'm up against. Do they check-raise, and under what conditions? How about on the river? Are their small bets usually suck bets or probe bets? How often do they make continuation bets, and what size do they tend to be? Do they follow with a second barrel, or do they check the turn? etc.

Also, if it's cheap, get in a few times with some middling hand, take note of every bet made, and call someone down just to see what they have even if you're pretty sure you're beat. Take advantage of the time when the blinds are small - the information you get burning off a 10 or 20 bbs when they're still at the first and second levels will more than pay for itself later on.

Hand and opponent reading is the sine qua non of super-aggressive play; if you're good at it you'll be successful - if you aren't you won't be.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM

I used to do bad in double and triple shootout satellites when I played them like a single table SnGs.
I switched to "loose canon crazy gorilla borderline idiotic" kind of style and since then I show much better results.
I`m not going to be more specific and explain this style with examples because I would not recommend it to anyone, just wanted to say that Ultra LAG has been the best way for me to win winner-take-all tournaments. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]