Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 07:19 PM

Default AQo vs the new donkey raise

This situation has been coming up a ton vs the fish lately and its been getting me into real awkward and strange spots. They (the fish) keep doing this small 3 bet preflop, usually the min raise which is impossible to fold to with the odds, but we whiff tons of flops and we dont know how often they will let go of hands, i'm OOP with a weird hand. All advice appreciated here

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($68.75)
UTG ($175.35)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($100)</font>
<font color="#C00000">CO ($64.80)</font>
Button ($36)
SB ($34.90)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $9</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $5.50.

Flop: ($19.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

I think this is def fine so far, usually i miss though, do most just check/fold i assume against the unknowns on weak flops here? I would assume you have to unless u have reads

Turn: ($39.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $45.8 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $45.80.

Trip aces, the diamond draw facing a big bet, a boat wouldnt need to push out a draw and would bet for value instead, the only hand that worries me is AK, what do you guys think of a call here, i cant think i'd ever fold in this spot

River: ($131.10) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $131.10]
Old 07-09-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: AQo vs the new donkey raise

i thought you played it well what is the question?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought you played it well what is the question?

[/ QUOTE ]

mainly how does everyone combat this play cuz all the fish use it often. Do you float more to small bets, give up on the flop alot if u dont hit? do u go deep with pretty good hands like this cuz u know they arent good players?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:25 PM

id call turn.

In theese spots i just try to keep it simple, dont float unless you have a good reason, and dont try to outplay. Just as straightforward as it gets, since you dont have to worry about beeing exploited etc
Old 07-09-2007, 07:27 PM

I enjoy your posts a lot -

I would play the same - nh
Old 07-09-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy your posts a lot -

I would play the same - nh

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks buddy, i appreciate this, i dont post too many hands but if i do they are ones where the situation comes up alot and its one i feel most people have trouble with.

idk if anyone wants to keep this thread going a little bit, it seems that the consensus on this hand is the same, but i want to know in general how people are responding to this min bet in other tough spots, would anyone be interested if i started another thread where people could post these spots where they couldnt figure out the best plays and we could look through them to plug this leak in our games?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 PM

completely depends on the fish and the frequency that he does it. in a vacuum i fold if missed/catch a weak hand on the flop
Old 07-09-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
completely depends on the fish and the frequency that he does it. in a vacuum i fold if missed/catch a weak hand on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, i agree, I am almost certain a good amount of SSNL hates facing this play and needs some work with it. So I was suggesting a thread for it where people could post opponents stats and tough spots and we could get good comments on the hands to help people plug this leak in their game.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

would anyone be interested if i started another thread where people could post these spots where they couldnt figure out the best plays and we could look through them to plug this leak in our games?

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a great idea..
Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 PM

the count is at 2 of us so far, i will see if we get a few more responses, if we get 5+ in here we will start it and others who want to fix this leak will join in. Hopefully we get some more responses [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]