Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: RB
R Johnson (CIN v ATL) 1 7.14%
T Bell (DEN v IND) 2 14.29%
Barber (NYG v TB) 7 50.00%
Westbrook (PHI v JAX) 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Reason for poll....

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea why God does what he does. I know that people often do petty and silly things with their limited resources. I suspect that if they were given unlimited resources they would contiune to do petty and silly things. Maybe God is the same way. Or maybe, from God's perspective, it's not as petty and silly as you think.

[/ QUOTE ]
You worship a god, but you can't understand him and don't know what he's trying to accomplish? I actually believe this is how you & many others feel. You can't know for sure that he's doing good works constantly. He might just cause human misery to release some occasional stress as far as you know.

Given your statements, I think it'd be easy to pick "Not sure at all. I can only hope and pray I'm worthy." in OP's poll. How you could be know god's mind to answer otherwise?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea why God does what he does. I know that people often do petty and silly things with their limited resources. I suspect that if they were given unlimited resources they would contiune to do petty and silly things. Maybe God is the same way. Or maybe, from God's perspective, it's not as petty and silly as you think.

[/ QUOTE ]
You worship a god, but you can't understand him and don't know what he's trying to accomplish? I actually believe this is how you & many others feel. You can't know for sure that he's doing good works constantly. He might just cause human misery to release some occasional stress as far as you know.

Given your statements, I think it'd be easy to pick "Not sure at all. I can only hope and pray I'm worthy." in OP's poll. How you could be know god's mind to answer otherwise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fisrt, if you believe in applying the rules of logic to God (which I don't, but you probably do), then he must be good by definition.

As for your sencond point, I believe that I can have more confidence than that, becuase the ways in which God has interacted with people seems to me to indicate that he desires to save anyone who wants salvation. I do believe that being "worthy" has nothing to do with it.

Of course, he could just randomly send people to heaven and hell, but if that is the case, then there is nothing I can do aobut it, so I don't worry about it.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fisrt, if you believe in applying the rules of logic to God (which I don't, but you probably do), then he must be good by definition.

[/ QUOTE ]
So the following bolded part doesn't apply? "Love; Patience; Kindness; Goodness; Self-control; Joy; Peace; Gentleness; Faithfulness ..." This is from the bible in describing characteristics of god/holy spirit. I'm assuming you consider the holy spirit & Jesus is god/part of god/trinity etc. So god isn't good by definition?

[ QUOTE ]
As for your sencond point, I believe that I can have more confidence than that, becuase the ways in which God has interacted with people seems to me to indicate that he desires to save anyone who wants salvation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cool, if I died a teenager, I would've gotten into heaven, since I wanted it then. Now I'm doomed, but maybe when I'm old & senile... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I do believe that being "worthy" has nothing to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I interpreted "worthy" as accepting Jesus as your personal savior. Maybe there's some miscommunication there.

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, he could just randomly send people to heaven and hell, but if that is the case, then there is nothing I can do aobut it, so I don't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ] This isn't in response to anything I said, but this sentiment seems consistent with your views and summarize your belief in god. "Why not believe, doesn't make much difference if I didn't."

If you're just being illogical to confuse me, you're doing a good job.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So the following bolded part doesn't apply? "Love; Patience; Kindness; Goodness; Self-control; Joy; Peace; Gentleness; Faithfulness ..." This is from the bible in describing characteristics of god/holy spirit. I'm assuming you consider the holy spirit & Jesus is god/part of god/trinity etc. So god isn't good by definition?

[/ QUOTE ]
So since one of the fruits of the spirit is goodness, that means God isn't good by definition? I don't see how that follows.

[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm doomed,

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say that

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I do believe that being "worthy" has nothing to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I interpreted "worthy" as accepting Jesus as your personal savior. Maybe there's some miscommunication there.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I mean is that I think many sinnful people will go to heaven. I wouldn't call those people "worthy" (weather or not they accept Jesus are their personal savior).

[ QUOTE ]

If you're just being illogical to confuse me, you're doing a good job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to be confusing, so sorry about that. Since I don't believe God is rational or logical, there is a good chance that I am being illogical in my responses, but I am not doing so intentionally.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to be confusing, so sorry about that. Since I don't believe God is rational or logical, there is a good chance that I am being illogical in my responses, but I am not doing so intentionally.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you mean you think God is irrational? Or that the topic of "God" isnt able to be discussed rationally?