Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Khan\'s last hand

What do you guys think about the hand that eliminated Hevad Khan from the main event? It was a rather unorthodox play on his part.

When the hand started, Jerry Yang had 63,000,000 to Khan's 9,000,000. With the blinds at 150K-300K, Jerry Yang raised to 1.5 million with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hevad reraised to 6 million from the small blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], leaving himself just 3.5 million more. After some deliberation, Yang called. Khan then announced all-in in the dark.

Any theories on why Khan would not just shove preflop? It is very rare to bet so much of your stack without betting it all. I doubt he was trying to trick Yang into thinking he had a monster. I'm guessing he assumed his AQ was ahead, in which case, you would think he would be willing to just shove his whole stack and take his chances.

The strangest thing to me is that Yang did not move in preflop, choosing instead just to call the reraise. Why? When the pot is that big and Khan has such a small amount left to bet, you can't fold jacks on any flop. At least, I wouldn't. I see no point in just calling preflop.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Khan\'s last hand

Because yang is inexperienced.

I think Khan just didn't realize he bet almost all his stack, then made up for it by going all-in in the dark. I highly doubt Khan was trapping for the additional 3.5 million.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 PM

I would guess both of Hevad's moves, not shoving all-in and moving all-in in the dark were just designed to get Jerry off balance. He was going either way but I think he thought maybe he could get Jerry to make a wrong move. Just a guess.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Khan just didn't realize he bet almost all his stack, then made up for it by going all-in in the dark.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very odd mistake to make at such a huge point in the tournament if it was indeed an accident.

[ QUOTE ]
I highly doubt Khan was trapping for the additional 3.5 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That's why it's strange that he didn't just shove it all.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:33 PM

had khan just called the raise, then pushed on the flop do you think yang calls him? honestly i think yang would have called just by the way he played not laying down any middle pair.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
had khan just called the raise, then pushed on the flop do you think yang calls him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. I think it would have been a horrendous play to just call a raise with AQs in a 6-handed game OOP against a very aggressive player against whom your hand figures to be good.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 PM

Could be a flat-out mistake. Could also be he wanted to be all-in and gave Yang the opportunity to say "what the heck, I push" with Ax or whatever, rather than fold. He couldn't guess that Yang actually had a monster hand.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 PM

not sure what he was thinking, but that "iīm reraising for 2/3 of my stack and still not going all-in" was meant to tell yang he had a monster, right? it didnīt matter anyway. yang snap-calls if khan shoves before the flop.

the only way he might (?) win the hand is if he raises less before the flop and donks the k high flop for like 2/3 pot, right? i havenīt seen yang fold anything tho.

rhameīs last hand (reraise before the flop, check-raise all-in on the flop by the tightest player on the table, yang calls with top pair, 5 kicker) tells you everything you need to know about yang.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rhameīs last hand (reraise before the flop, check-raise all-in on the flop by the tightest player on the table, yang calls with top pair, 5 kicker) tells you everything you need to know about yang.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Leading up to the final table coverage, a lot of people in this forum warned me to get ready for some unbelievably awful play by Rahme. Honestly, I didn't see it. The play of that hand told me a lot more about Yang than it did about Rahme. One of the most questionable plays Yang made during the two hours of coverage in my opinion.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:31 AM

by minraising, Khan was repping AA or KK, but he never had any intention of laying that hand down. since jerry's range of preflop raises was so large in khan's eyes, even if he misses on the flop, he thought jerry might have something as raggy as 9Ts or QJs. so, if jerry misses the flop, khan pushes and jerry lets the hand go. jerry did have a hand though, and khan lost his race. i dont mind the way that he played that hand.