Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Short Poker Essay: How to get broke, how to get rich

ChicagoRy gets a point for having the quicker response, but I get at least two for answer depth.

Therefore, I win. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Short Poker Essay: How to get broke, how to get rich

[ QUOTE ]
Snorer, what level did you max out at before you realized it was more +EV to play HU cash? 200 or 500s?

[/ QUOTE ]

i kind of went in spurts. i first sort of realized when i was in the 200's that there was way more potential in cash. i actually got staked for a while to play 5/10 hu and made a nice chunk of change. me being the idiot that i am though i always shifted back to hu sng's for 1 reason or another. guess it was just too hard to break away from something i had spent so much time learning through and through. my latest run in the 500's is what really snapped me out of it. i went on a sick heater and then a sick downer and it opened my eyes as to just how much of a waste of time these things are to play for me now. make no mistake, it had absolutely nothing to do with the competition being tougher. in fact if anything i faced tougher opponents in the 100's and 200's than i did in the 500's. but once the stakes got that high it shined some light on the illusion of hu sng's- your expectation is diddly squat in comparison to your buy-in. you think $500 and it seems semi high but it's really a facade. to whomever thinks there's more variance in hu sng's than cash, sorry but you're gravely mistaken. it may be possible to avoid the real variance in cash because of all the shot takers and donators which are more prevalent and frequent in mid stakes hu cash, but as far as the nature of the beast, there's soooo much more variance in cash than sng's. it's no coincidence it was like pulling teeth getting stars to open hu cash tables. hu sng's may seem "swingy" to us, because we are better than the average player in them, but that isn't variance, that's being stuck in a format of play where your true natural edge doesn't have enough room to breathe. they're designed to keep players afloat. so in all reality, we'll run under expectation in them because of the format and gambling involved with players far worse skill wise, but by that same token it makes it a lot less likely to have a 20 bi downswing than it would be in cash. the things people do in cash that are successful are for the most part pretty bad strategy wise when they play sng's. so those kind of tendencies are easily exploited and make matches won without much fuss. but they're crucial in cash play, and when you're playing people that are habitual c-bettors in cash and you need to make adjustments against that (just 1 example), you better be in for a wild ride most of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I know you play a lot of regular speed games. Do you think for a very good turbo player it may be awhile longer until it's more +EV to play hu cash? I'm not really sure what the hourlies are for some of the mid level HU cash players and what kind of skills it takes to get there compared to Husngs.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm not really sure to be honest. and i'm still hungover from last night and think i just exhausted any thinking i can possibly do right now. lol