Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Implied odds in a bounty tournament

I've been thinking about a certain situation for a while and watched a bounty tournament the other night to see how it came into play.

Let's assume that you're in a bounty tournament for which you paid $25 to enter. There are several "bounty" players and if you can eliminate one, you receive a $250 bonus. There are 400 players remaining out of 800 entrants. The top 80 places are paid.

You are in the big blind with an smallish stack, maybe half the average. A bounty player is on your right in the small blind. You have him barely covered. Action is folded around to the bounty, who pushes all in. You have 72 offsuit. Do you call or fold?

I believe that you can call with anything here. Effectively, you are getting 10-to-1 cash odds on this call, nevermind the tounament chips at stake. You are risking your $25 buyin to try to win a $250 bounty. Even if you were 100% sure that the bounty had AA here, the worst you could be is a 9-to-1 dog, making the call slightly profitable still (although less desirable).

There are many possible variations of this situation, such as being closer to/on the bubble, other players involved in the pot, etc. I'm curious to see what other people think of this situation.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Implied odds in a bounty tournament

If he has you covered it doesn't matter. Just wait it out you couldnt KO him this hand anyway.
~Justin
Old 01-28-2006, 04:49 PM

If he has you covered, you don't win the bounty by winning this hand, so you're not effectively getting 10-1 odds. Also, your stack isn't necessarily worth one buy-in.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:54 PM

oops, I meant that the other way around. Edited to correct.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:13 PM

You have to consider that being halfway through the tournament, your EV in the tournament isnt the buyin ($25) but infact more.