Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 06:10 AM

Default donkleads

This is generalized, sorry if that is troublesome. I played a lot of 1/2 in the last month and am taking a break.

I saw a lot of donkleads on both draw heavy and dry flops, and since I am horrible, I basically repopped these with air a VERY high % of the time, only to be called down with TP ok Kicker. I.E I raise to $7 in the cutoff w/ KQo. BB calls. Flop comes 10 2 3 and they lead for 2/3-pot.

I inevitably put in a potsized raise and get called down by QT, even after double barelling a blank turn. Is this a standard villain play at these limits? What do you do to combat this, as I lost a load of money in these spots. I just don't really understand why they wouldn't check call or check raise.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Re: donkleads

1) Don't auto raise donk leads
2) Auto raise min bets if you were going to to cbet anyway
3) If you do raise, do it with outs, example above i don't mind the raise
4) Don't double barrel (maybe J, but i check here too a lot), take your free card and value the river if you hit

Above is on the assumption your playing against donkfish
Old 08-18-2007, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Don't auto raise donk leads
2) Auto raise min bets if you were going to to cbet anyway
3) If you do raise, do it with outs, example above i don't mind the raise
4) Don't double barrel (maybe J, but i check here too a lot), take your free card and value the river if you hit

Above is on the assumption your playing against donkfish

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad advice at all.

I donklead with air, medium hands and big hands a lot, particularly against tag fish and observant players. Just gives you a lot of manouverability.

The type of donkbets OP is talking about, though, are common from weak players who have a medium strength hand and don't know how to handle themselves OOP against a raiser. They don't want to check/call, but they don't want to check/raise and inflate a pot either. They're happy to either take the pot right down there, or charge ou for a turn and hope they can see a cheapish showdown. So raising isn't a bad strategy, but because they're weak players they'll often get stuck to their top pair quite a bit as well. .. Particularly after you show down K high a few times. Some sort of subtlety is required on your end when handling those spots.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:11 AM

Ya, good posts. Be very cognizant of your image when deciding whether or not to raise. If your image sucks, just lay it down, even though he bet like 1/2 or whatever.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The type of donkbets OP is talking about, though, are common from weak players who have a medium strength hand and don't know how to handle themselves OOP against a raiser. They don't want to check/call, but they don't want to check/raise and inflate a pot either. They're happy to either take the pot right down there, or charge ou for a turn and hope they can see a cheapish showdown. So raising isn't a bad strategy, but because they're weak players they'll often get stuck to their top pair quite a bit as well. .. Particularly after you show down K high a few times. Some sort of subtlety is required on your end when handling those spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

these are exactly the players i was talking about. it seemed pretty common and just really [censored] me up in the hands in question
Old 08-18-2007, 01:10 PM

It's okay to just give up on these at times too. When it's likely the guy has top pair and won't fold it and you have 6 or fewer outs to catch up, there's really not a whole lot you can do.

I had a guy like this the other day who did this to me on nearly an identical board with QT. I had AT, I raised flop, bet turn, pushed river and got called down the entire way. Obv not all villains are like this, but against the ones that are you really should just fold your junk and press for max value when you have TPTK+.