Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Difference Between Live Tourney and Online

I have never played in a high stakes live event, but I have played in a few higher stake mtt online. I was wondering what was different as far as the hand people will typically show down the first day and how that may differ from online events. Another question is what are some of the better online qualifiers for high stakes mtt tourney's you have seen and what are the best strategies to employ. Sorry for the multipronged post.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Difference Between Live Tourney and Online

bump
Old 11-15-2007, 11:18 PM

Live high stakes MTTers suck. Although people not in the know would assume, based on basic notions of capitalism, that the best players would be playing for the highest stakes, poker happens to be an area where the reverse is actually true -- the best players are playing for microstakes while the worst players play for all the dough. This seemingly inexplicable anomaly is actually easily understood -- the best players' desire to play in their underwear without leaving their homes overwhelms their desire to make more money. So if you can beat $1 SnGs on Stars, you should be able to dominate and crush on the WPT.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:28 PM

I crush $6.50 stts, stake me? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
edit: I'm even fully dressed now.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:37 PM

More seriously, on Day 1 of a high stakes live MTT, the structure and stack depth make the play generally slower, and potentially more complex than anything you'll see in an online MTT. You can see some big pots with subpar hands, generally involving people who don't know how to play deep stack poker. An example: on the second hand of the Foxwoods 5K, which had 15K starting stacks at 25/50, the table next to us had an all in preflop AA v. KK hand.

That being said, I've also been at some tables that were just batshit crazy from the first hand on.

There are tons of differences and adjustments between online and live (I heard Sorel Mizzi discuss the struggles he had adjusting to live play in an interview if you don't want to take my word for it), and you should play a lot of smaller live tourneys before jumping into anything with a big buy-in.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
An example: on the second hand of the Foxwoods 5K, which had 15K starting stacks at 25/50, the table next to us had an all in preflop AA v. KK hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that not standard? If I'm the guy w/AA I'm re-raising all day PF, even until we get all-in no matter how deep we are.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An example: on the second hand of the Foxwoods 5K, which had 15K starting stacks at 25/50, the table next to us had an all in preflop AA v. KK hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that not standard? If I'm the guy w/AA I'm re-raising all day PF, even until we get all-in no matter how deep we are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yes, but how about the guy with KK?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:30 PM

bad post
Old 11-16-2007, 01:47 PM

passive
this describes live play. You will see ppl not betting and just calling with much stronger hands then online. ppl will just call with draws instead of pushing with them. usually when you get a lot of aggression they have an amazing hand
Old 11-16-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, yes, but how about the guy with KK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. If I'm in late position w/KK, re-raise someone in early position, who then shoves to my re-raise, I'm going to have quite a bit of trouble laying that down myself.