Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Small Pocket Pairs?

I think the answer always depends. Sets on different boards have different values, A two tone board is more dangerous than a rainbow board. I don't find that people fold when there are a couple of high card out there. IF the board is ragged(unlikely to have hit anyone) c-bet. THey probably don't have anything and your most likely protecting the best hand anyway.
If there's an Ace on the board and you have a set why not just "c-bet?" At least make people think you're c-betting. This is the spot you want to be in:
5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
against
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
on a board of
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
People are more likely to play higher cards so they are more likely to hit the board when higher cards are out. This is what you are really aiming for, not only to hit your set. You want people with second best hands to hit the board as well. Ideally you want them to have two pair. People will give you there stack with two pair. Some even give it to you with one pair, but you can see what trouble they get into when they can't let go of these high cards.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Gotmarc, I agree with your post, however, to be in that situation, wouldnt you say you would have had to call a raise that is too great to warrant your hand or a reraise if you were first raiser
Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 PM

This was brought up earlier. In a lot of cases, even with the reraise, you will have the implied odds to call. If they aren't they you can comfortably fold. I had started a similar thread to this a couple months back, and the rule of 10 and 5 was brought up. If the raise is no more than 5% of your effective stack, then you can call it in position. If its more than 10 you definetly fold, in between is a judgement call.