FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Well?
Yes 2 16.67%
No 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2006, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Pacino vs. DeNiro

[ QUOTE ]
It's the third or fourth scene in Mean Streets where Deniro and Keitel are in a back room of a bar discussing Deniros ,"Johnny Boy", inablitiy to pay off his debts. It's one of the most nuanced performances i've ever seen, nothing of Pacinos has come close

[/ QUOTE ]
You can see that clip here, fast forward to 0:46 (youtube)
Old 12-15-2006, 04:52 PM

Wow, I find Pacino has far, far less charisma than DeNiro. DeNiro has an incredible screen presence that I'm constantly waiting to see reveal a brilliant acting choice in some little gesture or expression or bit of timing even in the most throw-away of scenes. Pacino can be quite washed out and dull -- I'll never forgive him for Bobby Deerfield. And I think that's why he often hams it up to ridiculous levels. He's trying to "action up" a quieter, less carefully observed acting style. DeNiro finds with a sliver of good timing what Pacino has to flap his arms and shout to get a hold of.

DeNiro can scare the sh*t out of me. Pacino has to be careful not to make me laugh.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:41 AM

I just watched Glengarry Glen Ross.

Pacino is awful in that movie. His performance is a combination of drawling nonsense punctuated by moments of obnoxious screaming.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:46 AM

You're being way too hard on him here. And I say that as a guy who thinks Scarface is ridiculously overrated, Carlito's Way is very average at best, and Pacino went from being a cold dead fish of an actor to a clown. But sometimes he finds a balance that works. I liked his dressing down of Kevin Spacey in GGGR, and his wooing of the confused, sad, customer for the deal. I'm really not one to overrate Pacino at all, or so it seems to me, but you seem too harsh on him on this one.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I thought Pacino out shined Deniro in Heat, although Deniro has him beat overall career. I wish Deniro would stop making such crap (I havent seen Shepherd)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, DeNiro in the tunnel is on the way to the airport gives one of my favorite performances. Pacino's performance struck me as much more average, and at least once as a little comical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Deniro killing Wangro at the end was also badass, as well as his "empty telephone" conversation. I thought Pacino was good in it too, although him yelling all the time is pretty funny.

I think Deniro has him beat pretty easy overall. As for bad movies, every actor has their fair share.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:01 AM

Deniro all the way. Anyone ever watch awakening? pacino is tiresome to watch. Mostly because if you have seen one character, you've seen almost every other character he plays. Scarface, although I can understand it's appeal, was awfully acted by Pacino. Who the hell has that accent? how did the director let that fly? that was just down right awful.

Scent of a woman is easily his best movie.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:35 AM

This thread disgusts me. How can you even compare them.
De Niro is the man.