Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the game balance?
Heavily favored the Village 3 13.64%
Favored the Village 8 36.36%
Balanced 9 40.91%
Favored the Demons 2 9.09%
Heavily favored the Demons 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: New Software: Holdem Manager

I don't think we will hear anything PT/PA HUD until this thing is actually released and reviews start to come in. There has been competition to these programs before and none have really managed to get any market share. But in my opinion none have looked anywhere near as well thought out and feature rich as this one.

Besides they might have the attitude that inertia may keep people using PT regardless of this new product. I reckon the vast majority of people (even mid stakes players) simply track there win/loses, look at their VPIP/PFR and replay at the odd hand. And for PA HUD just have the standard HUD up there, with the odd extra stat.

For those kind of people, are they going to be willing to shell out another $100-150, who know the answer to that. I think it depends a lot of how this new product is received.

I floated the idea of a major overhaul of the PT (PT v3 if you like) a little while ago on the PT forums. I stated the need for stuff like 3-betting, faster importing etc etc for serious players. I suggested that this could be funded by an upgrade fee (along the lines that PO did 12-18 months ago), and gradual removal of support for PT v2. The response with pretty much silence.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:44 PM

100$ is ridiculously underpriced. You should be selling this for $500 MINIMUM and imo more in the 1k-2k range.

Oh and a question - you said you have 170 fields per player per hand. This sort of suggests you've gone the PT route of having a field for possible stats as opposed to just transforming the data to where any possible stat is easily extracted. Is there data loss in the import? and if so how much for betting information and hand/board strength information?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
100$ is ridiculously underpriced. You should be selling this for $500 MINIMUM and imo more in the 1k-2k range.

Oh and a question - you said you have 170 fields per player per hand. This sort of suggests you've gone the PT route of having a field for possible stats as opposed to just transforming the data to where any possible stat is easily extracted. Is there data loss in the import? and if so how much for betting information and hand/board strength information?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

The original hand history and the standard transformed xml based hand history (which is kind of what you are referring to I believe since this is a complete representation of the hand) are both available but a "PlayerHands" table with extracted values per player per hand is necessary otherwise performance would quickly take a nose dive.

Your concerns however are valid and I do have mechanisms to deal with this to ensure that the DB design at launch can be modified somewhat on the fly. Also, the DB design at Beta launch will likely change somewhat with new fields and potentially new tables based on feedback. As recently as a couple of days ago I added a bunch of new "3 barrel" stats for both the raiser and the player facing the 3rd raise on the river. I tried to make it as complete as possible but already I'm coming up with additional things I want to track.

One other thing that I'm going to be a little vague about and not talk about again until launch is that you do have the ability to create your own stats and have them appear in reports and the HUD. For example, you could make a "check raise turn all-in after check calling the flop" stat and call it the OOP Float Push. The ability to do things like this are more for me so that I can more easily make changes in the future but creative HM users have a lot of power under the hood to mess around with.

Regarding hand strengths, you might want to check out the hand value filter screen shot. For every hand on every street I have over 60 made hand values along with about 10 flush draw and 6 straight draw values.

Hope that answers your questions,

rvg
Old 06-29-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

is possible to make a version with both TM and HM in?
when will it be available?

[/ QUOTE ]

July 15th is public beta and I am toying around with the idea of making TM run as a plugin within HM but that won't happen any time soon. More likely I will have extra features built into TM that can use some of the new things HM brings to the table and vice versa.

rvg
Old 06-29-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are dreaming. It is a nice compliment, but not more than that. You are forgetting a few things:

It isn't entering a virgin market area. It is entering one with a couple of established giants, starting with the market reference, Poker Tracker + PAHUD, followed by PokerOffice. Neither of which cost more than $100. While I have no trouble believing it may be superior to either, the question is whether its superiority would justify this, and convince new prospective buyer to pay 10 times the amount.

The second even harder issue would be trying to win over satisfied users of PT and PO, and charge a premium price too. Right now I am a satisfied user of PO. I've had a few issues here and there over the last 2 years of use, but nothing insurmountable, and overall, I've gotten a LOT from it. I might convert if convinced, but I don't see that happening for 500 bucks. Remember that most players don't have $500 to spend on a program.

Albert
Old 06-29-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol what? I think $100 is slightly steep IMO in terms of what I'm willing to pay, seeing as it's between 10-20% of my bankroll, but if the early reviews are good I'll make the switch. I'd have been more comfortable with $80.

question for rvg, seeing as this uses postSQRL, will I have to convert my file format from FAT to NTFS before I use this program? Is this risky at all?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:52 PM

Dunno if this is mentioned but...

You should really ad "Player moves" on the HUD (like PO does). You know... little leatters that indicate what was the player's move on each street... like:

CC/C/XR/B

being call-call/call/check-raise/bet
Old 06-29-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol what? I think $100 is slightly steep IMO in terms of what I'm willing to pay, seeing as it's between 10-20% of my bankroll, but if the early reviews are good I'll make the switch. I'd have been more comfortable with $80.

question for rvg, seeing as this uses postSQRL, will I have to convert my file format from FAT to NTFS before I use this program? Is this risky at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

You should probably run the Postgres DB on an NTFS partition although according to their documentation there is a work around to run it on a FAT drive but it's not recommended.

If there are any PostgreSQL experts here maybe they could jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I also don't think the $100 ($65 for manager, $35 for HUD) is "ridiculously underpriced". Albert pretty much sums up why.

Thanks,

rvg
Old 06-29-2007, 02:05 PM

How is crypto support looking?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is crypto support looking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

I've received hand histories from crypto and a lot of other sites but haven't worked on them yet. I need to finish off a bunch of things in the app that need to be done for the beta launch before I can start adding in new sites. Once I'm happy with the final release candidate and it's in the hands of the private beta guys then I'll focus on adding new sites and try to get at least a couple more in for the beta launch.

Thanks,

rvg