Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-28-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: First 10k hands stats. Looking for a bit of general advice.

"You ATSBs is a bit too low. 30-36 or so would probably be better."

When it comes to stealing blinds what range of hands are you stealing with?. Are you saying just try steal with absolutely any old hand or just with a slightly wider range?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:13 PM

Hey John,

Stealing the blinds has nothing to do with the cards and everything to do with the blinds. If you BB is 70/45 you probably shouldn't steal at all. If you BB is 4/3 then you should steal any two cards. If the BB has 3bet your last 2 steal attempts, tighten down. Most BBs will be somewhere in the middle. Adjust accordingly.

Also, it does look like you steal pretty well from the button. Try losening up some from the cutoff.

SMS
Old 11-29-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"You ATSBs is a bit too low. 30-36 or so would probably be better."

When it comes to stealing blinds what range of hands are you stealing with?. Are you saying just try steal with absolutely any old hand or just with a slightly wider range?

[/ QUOTE ]
It has a lot to do with positional awereness. From your positional stats it looks like your VPIP is basically the same from all positions with a slight increase on the button. Fold more from UTG, MP and the blinds, raise more from the CO, Btn. If the blinds are ubertight, feel free to raise 82o, otherwise I ask myself if I am comfortable playing a particular hand against any of these opponents. A hand like J4s and 98o might look very tempting against a lot of passive fish who will let you draw for free, pay off with worse and make it very cheap to see a showdown.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 AM

Hey John, those are some pretty solid stats for your first 10,000. I basically agree with what everyone else has said so far. I think the one thing that will help pretty much all of the suggestions fall into place is being a little more positionally aware.

Opening up a bit and stealing more will raise your VPIP in late position. Playing more hands in late position also puts you in more betting/raising situations whereas being out of position puts you in more check/calling situations IMO, so playing more hands in late position will naturally up your aggression factor.

To try to even out the variance, it does look like you get into a lot of big pots, maybe some of them with small pot hands like TPTK or a weak 2 pair. Try to exercise some pot control when you have those types of hands.

I would personally tighten up in early position, although you seem to be doing just fine so far as your Won$ WSF/Went to SD/Won$ at SD numbers are almost identical in all of the non-blind positions. I would think this is a sign of someone who's well on the way to being a good hand reader so I think if you are a good hand reader you can open up A LOT from the CO and BTN, which will make your positional stats look a little more "normal."
Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 AM

Cheers all. Just what i was looking for. Definately going to open up a bit in CO/BTN see how it goes.
When in early position what do you think about calling small raises(2-3bb) with A9-AJos and similar hands? im calling these more often than not and wondering if this is considered a leak.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:08 PM

Please Please Please Please Please don't call UTG raises from reasonable opponents with Ax type hands suited or not. I am assuming that you are referring to UTG raises since you can't really call a raise from EP without an UTG raise.

SMS
Old 11-29-2007, 01:25 PM

I think you should just keep grinding and playing as many hands as possible as you'll see a less of variance. Your stats maybe show you should tweak your game slightly based upon the huge swongs in the graph over a short period of time, it seems like you fold too many hands until you get a strong hand but then cant fold it when you are beat.

I have had similar problems, but im not sure if thats the answer to the 3 buy-in swings or whatever.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As you can see by the graph im sometimes losing 3 buy ins within 500 hands or less. Really want to iron this out as i know its not normal.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is normal. Get used to it.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:43 PM

the swings in your graph obviously mean you got to far with your one pair hands. same problem iīve had when i started.

try to think of this.

1. having an overpair seems like a strong hand. however if you see a low flop with for example 77, you have an overpair. i used to get stacked way to often in those situation vs an 99 or 88.
2. play higher aces. if you only play AQ and AKs from EP you wonīt get big variance. AJ seems nice but often is a loser since you walk into AQ or AK to much.
3. when you have a lower toppair, slow down abit. your probably thinking that your KJ is good on a K high flop. it can be, but if called on the flop try to not blow up the pot.
4. pick your spots alot better. i mean you have to adjust to your opponents stats. if there not aggressive (AF<2) there is a couple of things you should notice. first of all he is more likely to just call you down with a TPTK or lower. so thats good if you have TPTK, second of all he might be drawing often, thats good if you have TPTK. however when he is not calling you should get rid of TPTK often. and also note that this player is more keen to slowplay his big hands often.
5. if your opponent is loose, you should focus on playing your TPTK hands harder. this player is likely to raise with TPWK or draws. and is also more likely to bluff. when you face such a player adjust by playing more passive. let him fire at your and donīt blow up the pot unless you got a really good hand.
6. folding is key. overplaying your hands is easy to do. fold your TPTK more often and your set to go. if you donīt fold your hands enough you will be losing much big pots and winning small pots. also its sometimes hard to fold if you have much money in the pot already. do so, in the end you cut down variance when you fold consistently in these situations.