Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 08:57 PM

Default More game return policy talk! (sorta)

This is rather ironic, but yesterday I bought Call of Duty 4, Orange Box, and Rainbow 6 Vegas for 360, all new. I have been playing COD4 for probably 8 of the last 24 hours total and beaten the game, so I wanted to try the multiplayer. For some reason my xbox live wasn't connecting so I picked up the 360 for a second to reattach the wireless adapter and all of a sudden the 360 starts making this really horrible noise, and I shut the console off ASAP and took out the COD4 disc and examined it to find a perfect circular scratch on it, very noticeable with the naked eye.

Anyways, Gamestop's return policy is a little confusing when it comes to these situations. Am I able to get a refund here? All I want is another copy of COD4, not a different game or a cash refund.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: More game return policy talk! (sorta)

did you buy the game insurance or whatever? if so, you definitely can. if not, you probably can, as long as you return it quickly.

edit: gamestop/eb games' game insurance is the only "coverage" worth buying on anything whatsoever, imo. covers unlimited replacements for disc damage for any reason for a year, for like $2-3 i think. definitely worth it.

edit number 2: try to haggle with the guys, bring your original receipt, and ask to purchase the insurance on all 3 games if they'll let you exchange this one, etc. it's worth it anyway, the $2 or whatever. it's sick.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:17 PM

Stores are usually pretty chill about straight exchanges.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did you buy the game insurance or whatever? if so, you definitely can. if not, you probably can, as long as you return it quickly.

edit: gamestop/eb games' game insurance is the only "coverage" worth buying on anything whatsoever, imo. covers unlimited replacements for disc damage for any reason for a year, for like $2-3 i think. definitely worth it.

edit number 2: try to haggle with the guys, bring your original receipt, and ask to purchase the insurance on all 3 games if they'll let you exchange this one, etc. it's worth it anyway, the $2 or whatever. it's sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't buy insurance or anything, forgot that it existed. I'll definitely do it from now on.

I just looked at my reciept and it says that for up to 7 days new games can be exchanged for the same game, but doesn't state what can or can't be returned. When I go up to try and return it, what should I tell them? I'm thinking that if tell them the truth and say I was moving my 360 while it was operating with a disc inside and that caused the scratch they'll claim negligence on my end and won't give a refund. Should I just say something like "this game is giving me errors and has a scratch on it, give me a refund please"?

I try to be honest about these types of things, I don't like taking advantage of store policies and effectively screwing the store on a somewhat stupid mistake of my own, but I also remember moving my 360 while it was operating before and not having any problems, so I don't think I'm entirely to blame either. I know 360's have been known to scratch discs without moving them at all, and I believe that has happened to me before. A lot of the blame has to be on Microsoft for making a really buggy game system that has all sorts of problems, but that's a discussion for another time.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:37 PM

Even if it's not covered by the store, I assume you could get a replacement from the publisher.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't buy insurance or anything, forgot that it existed. I'll definitely do it from now on.

I just looked at my reciept and it says that for up to 7 days new games can be exchanged for the same game, but doesn't state what can or can't be returned. When I go up to try and return it, what should I tell them? I'm thinking that if tell them the truth and say I was moving my 360 while it was operating with a disc inside and that caused the scratch they'll claim negligence on my end and won't give a refund. Should I just say something like "this game is giving me errors and has a scratch on it, give me a refund please"?

I try to be honest about these types of things, I don't like taking advantage of store policies and effectively screwing the store on a somewhat stupid mistake of my own, but I also remember moving my 360 while it was operating before and not having any problems, so I don't think I'm entirely to blame either. I know 360's have been known to scratch discs without moving them at all, and I believe that has happened to me before. A lot of the blame has to be on Microsoft for making a really buggy game system that has all sorts of problems, but that's a discussion for another time.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you are within the 7 days they probably won't even ask you anything.

AislePhive: My disc is scratched, I'd like to exchange it.

Dude: No problem.

AislePhive: ok thanks

Dude: you betcha.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:45 PM

next time, don't move an optical disk reader (AKA DVD/CD-ROM) when it's spinning :P
Old 11-22-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
next time, don't move an optical disk reader (AKA DVD/CD-ROM) when it's spinning :P

[/ QUOTE ]

And definitely don't tell the EB guy, they're dicks.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:28 AM

Worst case scenario you could buy a new copy of the broken game at best buy (or anywhere they offer insurance, I know they have it a BB for five bucks though). Then take the broken copy and put it in the new case you have insurance for, take it back and get an exchange. Then you have two copies of the same game course, so you have to return one to gamestop or bestbuy with the receipt from the original purchase. They may scan the game to make sure its the same copy with the same bar code, which it won't be because you switched. If they do that and it doesn't work then you just sell one of the copies on ebay. You'll lose some money, but it will only be like 20 bucks max, instead of 60.

My xbox is horrible and eats my games all the time, so I had to deal with this a lot.

Edit: In my experience eb/gamestop are dicks about exchanges and your just SOL, but maybe you'll get someone nice and they will let it slide. Also I wrote this while playing Mass Effect, so it may not be all that coherent.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's definitely not the store's fault, it's either your fault or Microsoft's or both. However I doubt the store or the publisher loses much by replacing the game, so I don't think you should feel bad that you might be screwing someone over for a mistake that wasn't theirs.