Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: AP thread 872.6 - Statement ITT

[ QUOTE ]

adanthar, can you just tell us whats really going on?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2007, 02:47 PM

I am personally infuriated. They couldn't even come up with a fake name to give us?

I knew they weren't going to come out with the truth b/c i believe all the higher ups are involved, but to make it so obvious.

I think it is time to reveal the information we have been holding back.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doing that would a)help AP and b)unravel a couple of the positives that came out of this and I am interested in 0 out of those things.

however, you can read between the lines of all Nat's/my posts and pretty much come up with the story anyway.

posted at p5s by brsavage
I received word while at lunch that the AP release is due out very shortly. In a nutshell they still have much of the investigation to complete, and that will take time. So far they have definitive proof as to who the culprit was, how he did it, and the fact that he did in fact cash out a significant amount. Further, I am being told that he had more accounts than even we had realized, and they are doing extensive investigations because some of these accounts were attempted to be deleted by him.

This person was the second in charge and has been fired from AP, and his one superior Scott Tom is going to be removed from running AP for a significant period of time. For legal reasons the AP release is not going to specifically name this person, and I will elaborate on that fact and why it makes perfect sense. Most of us know this persons name already as it has already been widely reported.

This person was Scott Tom's best friend and actually lived at Scott Tom's house in Costa Rica. Scott Tom has been living in Panama for quite some time, and the day to day operations of AP were left to the care of his best friend and second in charge at AP. Unfortunately since the person in command of AP was also the thief he obviously issued numerous steadfast denials of any wrong doing. Basically he was investigating himself.

Since this person was a high ranking official he had access to very sensitive information, not only regarding the operations of the company, but also very sensitive information regarding player accounts, balances, names, deposits, withdrawals etc. Because of the Internet Gaming Act their is still a wide gray area as to what is sensitive and what is not. As such the attorneys for both AP and the KGC have the same opinion that is best not to release his name publicly for the simple fact that they do not want more harm being done to the industry as a result of this person possibly trying to disclose this information publicly as a retaliation for him being fired from AP.

Further, even though Scott Tom was not involved in the actual theft, he is responsible for the actions of his friend and second in charge of the company, which is why he is being removed for a significant time frame while the entire process of restoring trust in AP takes place.

I am being told that all monies players were cheated out of will be repaid. I also have made strong overtures and recommendations that in any case involving a player being cheated AP should err on the side of caution and compensate the player if their is any doubt that he was affected.

As I stated before, they already have found several accounts that even we had not known about, and evidence of some accounts that the second in charge tried to delete. All of this investigation is going to take time, but it appears that simply based on this disclosure that they are definitively going to make a concerted effort to make things right.

[ QUOTE ]

Cmon....If nothing else then this statement should confirm to any thinking person that Absolute is a crooked organization up until the highest level...

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say that it confirms it, but there were initially 3 possibilities.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] There was no cheating. Some donks got lucky. A priori, this would be the most likely, but there was a huge amount of evidence against it.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] There was isolated cheating by a few bad apples which can be identified and eliminated, but overall the system is ok.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Absolute Poker is rotten to the core. Perhaps getting to steal money from its players was a long-standing perk which was used once too often. Absolute Poker needs to have its entire senior management replaced before it should be trusted by anyone, and a huge amount of compensation may be owed to thousands of players who were cheated for years.

This statement did nothing to favor the second explanation over the third, since obviously anyone in the third situation would try to pretend it was the first (which AP tried initially) or the second (AP's current story). In order to show that the second explanation is correct, AP needs to provide correct details, and needs to demonstrate that it has acted and will act responsibly.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doing that would a)help AP and b)unravel a couple of the positives that came out of this and I am interested in 0 out of those things.

however, you can read between the lines of all Nat's/my posts and pretty much come up with the story anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
As in, one pic deleted, one left in place?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:51 PM

Okay, the reason they will not send AJ Green to jail (or even name him at this point) is the following...

Think about how much he knows about both the money flow, ownership, other scandals, etc within AP and UB. Lots of people with heavy interests in both of those either don't want those stories coming out or they don't want their dirt being told to law enforcement. Basically, he has them by the balls because he has their dirt. Described at the simplest level as blackmail.

Also, I do actually believe that AP, KGC, etc will be a changed organization after this -- not necessarily clean, but changed. They would never do anything this blatant again. How they ever get people to believe that they are both clean AND changed will be up to them.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
posted at p5s by brsavage

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a very significant amount of it but not 100% true
Old 10-21-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Unfortunately, like I've said for a while, the main result here is that people here can pat themselves on the back and say "awesome, we really showed them!" while nothing actually changes at all except maybe a short-term dip in Absolute's revenues.

On the plus side, at least it resulted in the people who got cheated by this one specific account getting their money back, so it definitely wasn't for nothing and definitely had a tangible positive result.

But in terms of long-term impact, none of this really matters at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the inevitable result will be and was destined to be unsatisfying. However, relative to where we were before the HH was released, we can't say nothing was accomplished in the effort to police the integrity of a sketchy online poker site.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:54 PM

Where is PokerStars while all this is going on? Maybe it's time to demand their involvement. Any benefit they might see from AP players migrating to their site will certainly be outweighed by the long-term damage to online poker.

Full Tilt too, although Stars should have more pull with their ties to the KGC.

To make them begin to stand up for us, how about a 1-day boycott of all US poker sites?
Closed Thread