Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Ty Stewart\'s \"blockbuster\" idea for the 2008 WSOP

X-Posting in NVG and Tournament Circuit.

Ty Stewart, Director of Sponsorship and Marketing for the World Series of Poker has this idea for the WSOP. I don’t like it much unless somebody adds 3 or 4 million dollars to the final table payouts on top of the prizepool contributed by the players.

[ QUOTE ]

They have a brief discussion about the 2008 World Series of Poker, for which Ty has a blockbuster idea.
He wants to broadcast the Main Event final table LIVE.
WITH HOLE CARDS.
The idea would be to play down to the final table and then adjourn the Series. All the other episodes of the Main Event would air and TV would have a couple months to get to know the players. Then they would reconvene and play a sequestered final table and the later portion of the final table would be broadcast live. The audience would see every player's cards and commentators would be able to analyze the strategy in real time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to source
Old 10-16-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Ty Stewart\'s fawning fan boi blog

The linked blog was possibly the most stomach-turning piece of "fan-boi whacking-off" I have ever seen in poker. Jesus, that was bad.

Bottom line quote:

"Ty Stewart sees The Big Picture. This has the potential to turn televised poker into a fringe sports-like activity with a loyal but scattered audience into a reality-programming phenomenon on the order of Survivor, American Idol, or Dancing with the Stars."

Yeah, right. Good idea.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Ty Stewart\'s fawning fan boi blog

So they obviously wouldn't allow anyone in the studio other than the players and crew then right?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:13 AM

Horrible idea.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The linked blog was possibly the most stomach-turning piece of "fan-boi whacking-off" I have ever seen in poker. Jesus, that was bad.

Bottom line quote:

"Ty Stewart sees The Big Picture. This has the potential to turn televised poker into a fringe sports-like activity with a loyal but scattered audience into a reality-programming phenomenon on the order of Survivor, American Idol, or Dancing with the Stars."

Yeah, right. Good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhhhhhhhhh that would be [censored] awesome for the games? why wouldnt you want this to happen?

i hate mtts but i think this would only be awesome for poker.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the appeal of poker to the average donk watching on TV is not in the "nuance" of the game, nor even in the strategy - it's in the white-knuckle moments, the all-ins, and the massive bluffs.

This would be terrible for poker, because only good, thinking players would have any interest in watching through hours upon hours of live final table broadcast. The average Joe who watches poker on ESPN would have almost zero interest in 20+ hours of final table broadcast, when the majority of hands never go to showdown (or even the turn).

Open raise/call/c-bet/fold . . . open/resteal/fold . . . fascinating stuff there for your average 1/2NL live player, huh?

I would guess viewers and ratings drop dramatically for the final broadcast.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure if you read it correctly or not, but it seems he is suggesting playing the world series down to the final table of the main event, taking a 2 month break, then finishing it
Old 10-16-2007, 10:37 AM

guys are you serious, it would be JUST LIKE american idol!... if the american idol finalé involved 12 hours coverage of rehearsals and set design before showing the actual performances.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure if you read it correctly or not, but it seems he is suggesting playing the world series down to the final table of the main event, taking a 2 month break, then finishing it

[/ QUOTE ]

do you care about the integrity of the game or the history of the wsop or something?

its weird and different but if it is able to get more fans/players then i dont care what they do to the final table tbh.

AoW, I think that is a valid point that I didnt consider.