Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 04:31 AM

Default Re: $60 - AK TPTK facing scary action

Stuff like this is so frustrating as the hand ranges vary so much from player to player.

Hand ranges can be ATs, AJs/AJo, AQ, A7s, A5s, 55, or 77. Wider for a donk, tighter for a good player.

With the raise and the call, you gotta assume both players are donks to make this call.

You got 39BBs if you fold. I think I kick something and fold here.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:37 AM

Id basically never flat call the flop, and of course Id move allin after the check raise.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:39 AM

They way you played it, its a clear fold. You wanted to get some cute action, and thats what you got.

You have zero idea where you stand, and that makes it an elementary laydown, even in a STT.

Nothing wrong with making cute plays as long as you accept the consequences.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I said in my OP. I don't remember but I think I was getting a little cute. Pretty dry board. No real scare cards could come on the turn. If villain has decided to take the impetus sometimes I'll let him fire a couple barrels. Maybe pick up some of UTGs money as well. I usually min-reraise the turn if I take this line, try to get him pot-comitted to his weaker ace or his slowplayed high PP, now that I've confused him as to whether I have an ace or not. It's a little dangerous, but I think pays off with a stacking frequently enough to be profitable. Obviously I wasn't expecting UTG to get all crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you say stacking someone?? As far as I can see it, you are not going to stack anyone with a cute play with one pair. You can collect a few extra chips or be stacked yourself. Thats pretty much it.

Btw, what makes you think you can stack someone here. Can you elaborate?? mebbe I can pick up a few tricks. (No sarcasm intended)
Old 07-11-2006, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Id basically never flat call the flop, and of course Id move allin after the check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you're ahead very often given this action. I don't think this is a difficult fold after the bet + checkraise + call, but I agree about the flatcall.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:09 AM

they turn over AJ, AT, UTG also JJ-KK because he just doesn't believe you got the A... you can see so much crap all day long that I am no longer willing to discount all those bad plays.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I said in my OP. I don't remember but I think I was getting a little cute. Pretty dry board. No real scare cards could come on the turn. If villain has decided to take the impetus sometimes I'll let him fire a couple barrels. Maybe pick up some of UTGs money as well. I usually min-reraise the turn if I take this line, try to get him pot-comitted to his weaker ace or his slowplayed high PP, now that I've confused him as to whether I have an ace or not. It's a little dangerous, but I think pays off with a stacking frequently enough to be profitable. Obviously I wasn't expecting UTG to get all crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you say stacking someone?? As far as I can see it, you are not going to stack anyone with a cute play with one pair. You can collect a few extra chips or be stacked yourself. Thats pretty much it.

Btw, what makes you think you can stack someone here. Can you elaborate?? mebbe I can pick up a few tricks. (No sarcasm intended)

[/ QUOTE ]

There are times when just calling can extract more money out of villain than reraising on the flop, and reraising only folds out worse hands. To me a strong candidate for one of those times is AK-TPTK on a dry board--when I am the preflop raiser, but villain has taken the impetus on the flop. I agree this probably not the place though.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you're ahead very often given this action. I don't think this is a difficult fold after the bet + checkraise + call, but I agree about the flatcall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say he'll limp AQ up front, and that he'll pull this c/r with only that or a set. (We're ruling out an UTG limp with hands like 75, and we're not giving him any draws.) In that situation, there are 8 AQs, and only 7 sets (since we're holding an A.) So we'd have something in the neighborhood of 50% equity against that guy. If you include AJ, which I think is believable, it gets even more ridiculous; if we include A7, perhaps, then a little less good. So I think you're ahead.

Now, that said, bombing the flop carries some risks. Sets will always call, but I think AJ and AQ can toss it pretty often. So I feel like pushing has a lot of risk, since this looks pretty WA/WB given realistic ranges (I don't think anybody has that straight draw). I'd rather just call the c/r and see what happens from there. I don't plan on folding but I'll let him do the legwork.

EDIT: Missed the UTG+1 call, which changes things a lot. Ugh. Yeah, a fold looks much better in light of that, because with two guys in there I think the chances of a cheap showdown coming are near nil.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:22 PM

I don't think you can fold this at the 60s. They are just so incredibly soft that there's too many chances they have A8-AQ.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's so hard to lay this down against unknowns, on the weekend ,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you answered your own question. Weekdays I'd let it go, weekend I'm crying while i push and am shocked to see KK-99 and AQ-A8 almost every time.

BTW, its been said, but raise the flop.