Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 11:00 PM

Default Should I use a different PT database for each poker site?

I'm finally moving on from Pokerstars (500 FPP on .25/.50 takes forever), and I'm not sure what I should do with my Poker Tracker database. I've got just over 10,000 hands, and it already takes a few minutes to export all my player notes - so is there any point in using it for a new poker site, where there's unlikely to be anybody with the same name?

I'm interested in what people who change sites regularly do with their databases, because I can see it turning into this huge bloated mess with only about 10% of the data being useful for exporting to each cardroom. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Should I use a different PT database for each poker site?

Not sure about all this time you're spending exporting. Do you select 'today's stats' from the preferences menu.

I have 60k hands from 10 different screen names on the 1 db. My computer is knackered but there's not too many problems.

I prefer to have all my stats from the same game type together, regardless of which site they're on.

I'd suggest a different DB for SH/FR/limit/NL etc., but not for different sites
Old 09-28-2006, 11:18 PM

By exporting I mean exporting the player rules and information that I've set up (for players with >50 hands). You have to close the statistics window to be able to do it, I don't think the Preferences tab helps. I usually just do it at the end of each session, so it's no big hassle I guess. But is there a way to only export notes for players that have new stats from this session?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:20 PM

What are you exporting this information to? Why are you doing it daily?

Keep the same DB for different sites- you can always filter by site for anything you want to analyse single-site for.
-Curtis
Old 09-30-2006, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By exporting I mean exporting the player rules and information that I've set up (for players with >50 hands). You have to close the statistics window to be able to do it, I don't think the Preferences tab helps. I usually just do it at the end of each session, so it's no big hassle I guess. But is there a way to only export notes for players that have new stats from this session?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean Auto-rate?

I can't imagine any reason to be exporting anything daily unless you're using some wierd 3rd party software for some reason (??)

You can use seperate databases if you want to however IMHO I don't think you're playing anywhere near enough hands to warrant it. I have seperate databases for "Stars" and "everything else". However, my Stars database has 200k+ hands and everything else is 100k+.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:27 AM

OK, I think there's something I'm not getting. Basically I play my poker for the day, then exit Pokerstars and open Poker Tracker, import all the new history, then export all the updated player notes (auto-rate + some stats, mostly following the 'PT guide'). Is this wrong? Should I have PT open at the same time as I play, and update on the fly somehow?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I think there's something I'm not getting. Basically I play my poker for the day, then exit Pokerstars and open Poker Tracker, import all the new history, then export all the updated player notes (auto-rate + some stats, mostly following the 'PT guide'). Is this wrong? Should I have PT open at the same time as I play, and update on the fly somehow?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

When you start playing, run Pokertracker. Click on:

File -> Auto-Import Pokerstars Hand Histories

Then click on "Start Timer" (You may have to do some setup as far as where to move hand history files).

Pokertracker will now import hand histories as you play.

Even better, if you use a head's up display like PAHUD these stats will be displayed in real-time right on your tables.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:54 PM

Ah, cheers.

Does the Auto-Import also update my player auto-rules and notes in the Poker program though, or do I need the PAHUD?